Participant Introductions

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

jpfitzp

Participant Introductions

Post by jpfitzp » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi Everyone

Thought it would be good to introduce each other and help build our own support community as we go through the summer school.

My name is JohnPaul Fitzpatrick, I am in Glasgow, Scotland and work for Strathclyde University. Hoping to develop an app that tells people about our organisation and teach myself the basics. At age 38, I grew up with BBC Micro's (ah, the 80s) and dabbled a little with programming then and with HyperCard on the Mac but really am back at square one!

Looking forward to working with you all as we build our app. Well done to the team for creating Summer Academy and the professional webinars we have had so far.

Best wishes

John Paul

goodeggclub
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Participant Introductions

Post by goodeggclub » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Hello John Paul, Great idea!

My Name is Russ McCabe, I'm in Albuquerque, NM USA and I am a full time Web Developer (PHP, Mysql, jQuery) etc. I want to move on from doing websites for other people to developing Apps and my own software.
I have more ideas than I have time. I haven't nailed down the app I want to create yet but hopefully by next Tuesday I will have a better idea.

This is a great opportunity. I hope we all leave app experts.

Cheers,
Russ
Russell McCabe - Lead Developer

"To the man who only has a hammer, every issue he encounters looks like a nail."

http://goodeggclub.com

MarcVanCauwenberghe

Post by MarcVanCauwenberghe » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:02 pm

Greetings everyone,

I am Marc Van Cauwenberghe, I'm in Loppem, Belgium. I hope to make some apps for use in the health sector and social information sector.

Have a fine morning, day or evening,

Marc

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:11 pm

Hello

My name is Henry. I'm a graphic designer in Chicago, IL USA.

For a few years now I've had ideas for apps, but couldn't actually make them. I feel like I can do everything else including Market Research and product development, design (wire framing, UI, UX, graphic design), and marketing, however, although I have some experience with web technologies like HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP I find higher level programming to be way out of my wheelhouse. I tried learning Objective-C, but it was really slow going.

In the last couple of years I've tried a lot of different app development and/or prototype frameworks, as they seem to be popping up like weeds lately. LiveCode seems the most promising of all of them for what I want to do. So far so good.

Looking forward to the next few weeks and the rest of the year—while my subscription is valid.

Henry

Coffee1633

Post by Coffee1633 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi Everyone

My name is Bob Cvitkovic, but I go by Coffee16. Originally from Canada but I live and work in Japan as an language professor in Tokyo.

My goal is to make educational apps for students studying English as their second language. App ideas are not the problem - I have too many; it's time and ability at this point in my life - I'm not young anymore. I wish I had started programming 10 years ago to get the fundamentals down. What I mean is that I have been putzing around with LC for about 2 years now and every time I start making some progress on an app there comes a point where I lose control of the process. A little bit of feature creep starts to set in as I start adding one more feature and then the bugs start getting out of control. The code becomes spaghetti and I can't keep the whole thing together. Then I give up and start over. I have yet to finish an app.

As a result, I started reading a few hardcore programming books like Code Complete and several OOP books (even though LC is not purely OOP - I don't think it is) I am starting to realize that any non-trivial program with more than one or two features requires some serious planning and code organization, not to mention graphics, sound, and marketing. Phew!

I hope to stay focused and be able to create a non-trivial project from start to finish this summer.

Also, I really look forward to studying with you all and sharing our common interest in LC.

Coffee16

donchan

Post by donchan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:23 am

Hi Everyone,

My name is Donald and I am in Melbourne, Australia. I am looking at making apps for the financial advice industry as well as education apps for young children.

Look forward to seeing what others are up to.

Donald

Pip

Post by Pip » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:06 am

Hi Everyone

My name is Phil Parker ( user name Pip) & I'm a real estate agent in Perth, Western Australia.

Looking to develop a presentation app for work. Although I currently use some great apps in my presentations, there isn't one that has everything in one place.

Been playing around with LC for a couple of months but, other than that, I have no programming experience apart from some HTML & PHP, so not sure if the above project would be too big to start with as it would be my 3 current apps in one.

Pip

jpfitzp

Post by jpfitzp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 am

Hi Ross - I'm in a similar boat about generating ideas for the app am sure you will come up with something exciting!

Hello Marc - your area sounds interesting! Hope the weather good in Belgium! (Or not too good as you don't want distracted from your development!)

Hi Henry - looking forward to hearing more about how you get on.

Hi Bob - I used to teach ESOL in Scotland at a FE college so look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Donald - looking forward to seeing what you want to do , I am tempted to do something in a similar area in terms of development! And you do stay in the coolest city on earth - was there last year!

Pip - wow! Your app could be huge, though your maybe right to question the scope at this stage - its a balancing act isn't it!

Right, I'm off to do some work and look forward to liaising with you and shouting - help! soon!

Best wishes

JP

garyth123

Post by garyth123 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:41 am

Hello, I'm Gary and I live in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Back in the 90s I was a fan of HyperCard but somehow lost sight of it when the web came along. It's nice to see RunRev bringing it into the mobile apps world of the 21st Century.

I am currently working on my first commercial mobile app and I have to say that I've found it to be great fun using LiveCode--even if I don't consider myself to be a programmer I seem to be getting stuff done!

I have a couple of other ideas that I want to work on. Beyond that I'm wondering how to get more ideas. LiveCode does make it easy, though, to put your ideas into action once you get them, so all power to LC!
Last edited by garyth123 on Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbcbos

Post by dbcbos » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:59 pm

@ John Paul: Was thinking the same thing last night to begin a thread introducing myself and learn about others. You one upped me on that one :D

Here comes my Introduction.

I'm Ronald Bos, 30 years old and coming from Groningen in the Netherlands,

I'm an official parttime web- and software developer for five years now. For the other part I started my own company DBC Bos (thus the username) and have done some web and software work for several companies (so actually makes me a full time developer :) ). Programmed in Delphi, Java (made a cool application that generates public transport guides from XML Data for Arriva), Visual Basic, Perl, PHP, CSS, HTML, JavaScript, SQL, XML,XSLT and ofcourse Livecode ^^.

So I might be a bit overqualified to take this course. Still I'm new to app development and a bit poor at the design aspect of making it look good (on all screens). Learning both the Android SDK, Windows Phone SDK and IOS SDK isn't really an option cause that takes so much time to learn and I'm not really interested in learning YAIDE (Yet another Integrated Development Environment) like XCode. So I hope to develop B2B apps with the new Livecode 6.1 and get an exam certificate that I can use too promote my business.

Socan

Post by Socan » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Hi all, and great idea re introductions!

Name is Bill (forum name Socan), and I'm a 38 yr old Canadian who splits his time between the UK and Germany.

I haven't done much coding since the late 90's, but have worked at companies big and small over the last couple decades solving engineering issues with game technology. Industries include automotive, aerospace, military and oil & gas, technologies ranging from CAD to CryEngine and just about everything in-between.

Now my wife-to-be and I have left the rat-race and started a tiny company making interactive book apps for young adults. She's doing the writing and after looking at some external development options, I decided to roll up my sleeves, take this course and get my hands dirty again... Remains to be seen if that is a good idea or not!

Really looking forward getting to know everybody here and seeing what can be done in LC! Hope I can do whatever I can to help everyone here make some cool things happen and hope my own stupid questions don't get too irritating!

Cheers and see you in class!
Bill

edblackhurst

Post by edblackhurst » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Greetings, Everyone --

My name is Ed Blackhurst. I'm a retired University of Kentucky professor of special education who now lives in a condo at Litchfield Beach near Pawleys Island, South Carolina. Prior to my retirement in 1999, I discovered HyperCard and spent a number of years teaching a course about how to use it to develop educational programs for students with disabilities. I also used it to develop a couple of complex software programs to enhance teacher productivity that were field tested successfully but died on the vine because I was unable to translate them to apps that would work on computers running Windows OS. After retirement, I discovered Revolution, and then LiveCode, and have been working off and on to use LC to make this translation and to also develop apps that will run on iPads and Windows tablets.

I've already experienced the value of this forum to obtain information that will help me in my efforts. I posted a request a couple of days ago requesting tips for translating a desktop app to an iPad and already have received a couple of very useful suggestions.

Looking forward to the Webinars and further interactions with y'all.

Cheers!

Ed

cavenewt
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by cavenewt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi guys (and so far you are all guys?), my name is Colleen. I'm a Macintosh consultant in Jackson, Wyoming, USA. I saw a notice on Macintouch about the Kickstarter campaign for LiveCode; it had me at mention of HyperCard, and I donated. I *loved* HyperCard; my most satisfying accomplishment was a gesture-driven pop-up sticky notes utility that could be tacked onto any stack.

In the 1990s I wrote a HyperCard application for the local weekly newspaper, which controlled the classified advertising system from order-taking to billing to exporting Xtagged text for Quark. When HyperCard evaporated, I rewrote the whole thing in FileMaker, and for the next several years did quite a bit of FileMaker development for the newspaper. But my first love was always HyperCard. FileMaker is too mouse-centric in its scripting, and it has no sense of humor.

My sole claim to fame was, in the days of the Apple II, creating an AppleSoft version of Hunt The Wumpus that randomly generated a new cave complex with each new game, and which was included on the Denver Macintosh User Group's monthly CD. I vaguely remember PEEKing and POKing to create sound effects.

Over the years I also bought every version of Helix, but never got around to actually using it! Oh, to be young again…

I hope to learn to use LiveCode for database-type applications, for which I currently use the dour FileMaker, especially for tracking hardware and software resources at the newspaper (workstations are constantly swapping around displays, CPUs, etc.). That might be too ambitious for a first app though!

hamishb

Post by hamishb » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:14 pm

It's been great reading about the other participants - what a global bunch we are!
My name's Hamish Bruce and I've worked in communications for many years. I've always wanted to create my own apps, to create easy ways for our staff to find their way around our multiple communications channels and to provide a good interface for staff training.
I've never done programming before and as I'm now past the golden 50 year mark, Livecode is probably my only opportunity to do so.

I'm actually on holiday in the highlands of Scotland at the moment, a long way past Livecode's homebase in Edinburgh near a small town called Lairg. As my internet access is so limited, I look forward to catching up next week.

Hope you all find the webinars helpful!

GypsyTravelers

Post by GypsyTravelers » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi All,

John & Frances Royo here. We go by “GypsyTravelers”, since we love to travel. Currently we are in Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.

No programming experience for either of us. We are working through the learning site called Lynda about foundations of programming and database foundations to get a crash course to help us with LiveCode.

We learned about LiveCode in January 2013 and have been incredibly interested in it. When we saw the post about SummerSchool we jumped all over it.

We both have explored various professions, from education, to secondary finance, to transportation (yes, we drove 18-wheelers), to technology. John works for the “Fruit Stand” that makes those computers with the apple logo on them. Frances used to work for that company as well.

Our interest in SummerSchool is to jump start our coding career so that we have a profession that can travel with us. Our next home will be made by a small Colorado company named Earth Roamer.

A shout out to our "neighbors" Russ and Colleen who live in the states directly north and south of us. :D

Return to “Summer School 2013”