App Ideas

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

Pip

App Ideas

Post by Pip » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:08 pm

Anyone got any ideas as to what app they are going to make in Summer School?

hamishb

Re: App Ideas

Post by hamishb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:01 am

I'm still toying with a few ideas, as I'm really new to LiveCode and programming.
I work for a global charity, primarily in internal communications, so I'm looking for something that will help in this area.
Some initial thoughts:
1. A universal app (desktop and mobile) that provides links to our many communications channels - from social media to intranet, public website, etc. Just a handy tool for people to use to find their way around our organisation's comms.
2. A more detailed version of first idea with some interaction - feedback and contact forms, link to our Salesforce CRM, forms to send in their info, etc.
3. Totally different idea - a universal interface for training in using some of our software tools, such as Salesforce and Google Apps. Many of our users prefer to download a package and view material offline, as internet connections in some countries is terrible. I've no idea how flexible LiveCode is for this task and how it might link in with displaying movies, PowerPoint presentations, Captivate HTML 5/SWF files and other training material, and whether I can cope with this level of programming, but it's an idea!

What do people think and what are your own ideas?

mkculp

Post by mkculp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:18 pm

I have an ida for an app/kiosk to show a map of an event site or campus that could be scrolled or possibly tied to gps for easy installation.

It would show a You are Here cross hair
It would have each of the buildings/tents/locations click-able to another card with details about that location
It would be searchable by an index or by keyword to show where various places are (bathrooms, a certain building, all food vendors or a vendor serving kielbasa)
And it needs to have the building description cards or locations up datable via a database sync to a website or online database

The tricky issues (in my mind) are scrolling the window around to look at other places and updating the data cards remotely as some will have pictures and some not.

any thoughts

walkerl26

Post by walkerl26 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:10 pm

I plan to convert a web app I have running on my on-rev server into a native iOS app.

It's an app for looking up bus arrival times (for the Madison (WI, USA) Metro bus system). Yes, the Transit feature in Google Maps is a great all-around tool, but for some purposes, I still find my light-weight app quicker and easier to use. Mostly, it's a handy thing that's already coded and working in LiveCode, so it's a handy example to use in this class...

The main new feature I want to add is local storage of each bus stop number the user has requested, building a drop-down list of favorite stops for quick access. The pull-down currently in the web-app is just a hard-coded list of my own most-used stops..

Larry

Pip

Post by Pip » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:11 am

mkculp wrote:I have an ida for an app/kiosk to show a map of an event site or campus that could be scrolled or possibly tied to gps for easy installation.

It would show a You are Here cross hair
It would have each of the buildings/tents/locations click-able to another card with details about that location
It would be searchable by an index or by keyword to show where various places are (bathrooms, a certain building, all food vendors or a vendor serving kielbasa)
And it needs to have the building description cards or locations up datable via a database sync to a website or online database

The tricky issues (in my mind) are scrolling the window around to look at other places and updating the data cards remotely as some will have pictures and some not.

any thoughts
Cool idea mkculp

Every year in Perth there is a Royal Show with rides & entertainment, it's a big event & spread over a big venue. Last year they had there own app that was similar but was lacking a lot of the features your talking about.

Anyway, stumbled across the developer on Linkedin the other day & he said that his app won an award. Thought it might be a good one for you to look at but just checked the app store & it is no longer available

Pip

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Simon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:29 am

Hi mkculp,
The tricky issues (in my mind) are scrolling the window around to look at other places
Actually this one is easy in LC.
When you get to it, ask here in the forums.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

EOTR

Post by EOTR » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:59 pm

Simon wrote:Hi mkculp,
The tricky issues (in my mind) are scrolling the window around to look at other places

Simon
mkclp, I like the idea for your app a lot. I can totally see this being useful at big, Summer music fests. I saw a tutorial for something like the scrolling feature you're talking about:
http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4 ... the-window

-Henry

mkculp

Post by mkculp » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:56 pm

EOTR wrote:
Simon wrote:Hi mkculp,

Simon
mkclp, I like the idea for your app a lot. I can totally see this being useful at big, Summer music fests. I saw a tutorial for something like the scrolling feature you're talking about:
11788-how-do-i-scroll-a-card-that-is-taller-or-wider-than-the-window

-Henry
I think this is exactly what I was looking for. With any luck I'll try it this weekend. Now If it allows me to make clickable regions on the map to jump to other cards with more info or turn on and off food vendors or bathrooms it'll be perfect. I'll let you know what I come up with. I learned how to hide and unhide assets in the Game Academy videos

-Michael

TylerTrem

Post by TylerTrem » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:41 am

I have tried it really at the extreme level..I am just still in a fix for it's solutions....Suggestions are cordially welcome.. :D :D

Return to “Summer School 2013”