Summer School question

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, robinmiller

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Summer School question

Post by heatherlaine » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Just to jump in here and make sure this is all clear:

The $499 bundle or $500 Commercial license allows you to build closed source apps to publish. The reason you must have this license to publish to iOS is because you cannot use open source apps with the Apple App stores, the GPL license is incompatible with Apple's licensing.

The free Community edition of LiveCode allows you to build for any platform (but see above for publishing to the Apple Apps stores) however when you publish your app you must also share your source code.

You will need to pay the $99 annual fee to Apple to publish for iOS.

The Summer School bundle gives you a lot of extras which you will find helpful in getting your app off the ground and making the next one!

Regards,

Heather

cavenewt
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by cavenewt » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:39 pm

I think it's also important to point out that the commercial LiveCode license is an annual subscription. In other words, your $499 commercial license is only good for one year. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong…

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:59 am

So, to publish to iOs, we'll need to pay $598/year for it?

And if I were to publish an app to the play store before I get the Summer Bundle, I would have to share the source code of the app? Where do I do that? Also, if I then get the Summer Bundle, can I change the app and not include the source code any more?

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:42 pm

You can't publish to the app store with the community version, the license won't allow it. What you can do, though, is write your app with community version, make sure it works, debug, etc. and then when you are ready to publish, purchase commercial. That way you have a whole year ahead of you.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

cavenewt

Post by cavenewt » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 pm

jacque wrote:You can't publish to the app store with the community version, the license won't allow it. What you can do, though, is write your app with community version, make sure it works, debug, etc. and then when you are ready to publish, purchase commercial. That way you have a whole year ahead of you.
MobGUI won't work with the community version, unless they've changed something in the last couple of months.

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:52 am

That's a good idea to not get it until it's ready. Question though: How do I test it on iOs? Whenever I try to build it for iOs, it's saying it can't be done, and the entire section is greyed out. Do I have to buy the commercial version first, or can I test it on iOs without the commercial version?

elanorb
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by elanorb » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:27 am

Hi Opaquer, you should be able to test on iOS, assuming you are on Mac and have everything set up.

If you have watched Neil's setup lesson and followed all the steps and you still cannot test please drop us an email at support@runrev.com and we'll try and help get sort it out.

Kind regards

Elanor
Elanor Buchanan
Software Developer
LiveCode

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:53 pm

I don't have a Mac, but someone else I know does, so I can use hers when I need to test :P. I'll give it a try next time I see her and hope I can get it working! Otherwise I'll send an email :)

elanorb
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by elanorb » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:29 am

Ah, if you don't have a Mac I'm afraid you can't build for iOS as the required supporting files are only available for MacOS X. There is a service called Mac In Cloud that you might want to look into.

Kind regards

Elanor
Elanor Buchanan
Software Developer
LiveCode

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Will do, thanks! Otherwise I can borrow my friend's Mac for the day once I'm up to that stage :)

Return to “Summer School 2013”