GPS data

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Anzwertree

GPS data

Post by Anzwertree » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 am

Greetings! I am fairly new to Live Code. I'm a hobbyist programmer. For a living I do a lot of road traveling. I am curious. Is there a way to access GPS data from Live Code somehow? There are a lot of thing I could do to make my life a lot easier if there was a way to keep track of my location in a car using GPS. I'm not interested in directions, just the current location of where I am -- city, state, county, etc. I'm sure there isn't a native way to do this. But what kind of hack could I do? If I was going to target a specific system, it would be Windows based workstations. For instance, there are commercial USB GPS devices that simply plug into your computer. That's what I want to do. I want to be able to grab accurate information about my location. If I could do that, there's a virtual endless amount of opportunities for me. Any suggestions?

deebee
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: GPS data

Post by deebee » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 am

The short answer:

If your GPS device is NMEA compliant like the Globalsat BU 353, then it transmits serial data via usb. LC can read data from a serial device, so it would just be up to you to parse and display.

Perhaps if necessary, someone more knowledgeable than I could give you a more detailed answer. I'm still very much a LC newbie. :wink:

Anzwertree

Post by Anzwertree » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:27 am

deebee wrote:The short answer:

If your GPS device is NMEA compliant like the Globalsat BU 353, then it transmits serial data via usb. LC can read data from a serial device, so it would just be up to you to parse and display.

Perhaps if necessary, someone more knowledgeable than I could give you a more detailed answer. I'm still very much a LC newbie. :wink:
Hey, thanks a lot! I'm sure it is possible. I might have to jump through a few hoops, but it shouldn't be too difficult. I've worked with Java, Python, Perl, C# and a few others. LC is a breeze compared to what else is available. By all means, anyone else out there with more information, please explain

Anzwertree

Post by Anzwertree » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:47 pm

This issue has been resolved

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”