Software at the Speed of Thought

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:41 pm

I recently received the printed version of this tutorial book by Dan Shafer on RunRev. It appears to be the only tutorial book available and has been updated to a Second Edition. There is a long introduction where Dan shares his experience with HyperCard and its connection with the present RunRev. He then goes on the say that before starting with this tutorial book that you should complete the video training tutorials on the RunRev site first. So at this point I have stopped at Chapter 1 and am going to complete the RunRev video tutorial first just as Dan has suggested. Here is the link to purchase Dan's tutorial material.

BTW, most of his resources are in download format only. If anyone can locate any additional resources please post...
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

Mark
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Software at the Speed of Thought

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 pm

Hello,

I have posted a collection of links for starting RunRev programmers on my blog at http://blog.economy-x-talk.com

Edit: I have replaced the broken link to a similar post on the same blog. Previously, my blog was at schonewille.tk, now it is at economy-x-talk.com.

Edit 2: When searching for info about the book Software at the Speed of Thought, these posts on the forum were among the first to show up. Since Software at the Speed of Thought has been out of print for several years now and is also unavailable as an e-book AFAIK, I'd like to mention that I have written the book Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner, which you can purchase here.

Best,

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest LiveCode group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/livecode.developers
The book "Programming LiveCode for the Real Beginner"! Get it here! http://tinyurl.com/book-livecode

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:44 am

Thanks Mark, quite comprehensive.
"I am an Apple user and whatever they tell me I know it is for my own good and for the good of the collective..."

smcilree

Post by smcilree » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:11 pm

I just checked Shafer's Web site and the fact that it is broken in every browser I tried other than Safari, is a bit off-putting for a Windows user. Also, even in Safari, the link to the Preface is broken. Has anyone purchased any of these publications recently. Are they in fact still available? Have they had SmartEBook updates for RunRev 4 or are they still as published in 2006?

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 am

smcilree wrote:Has anyone purchased any of these publications recently. Are they in fact still available?
I bought and received my book about a week ago. Is that recent? I bought it from Cafe Press. Here is the direct link...

BTW, I don't know what kind of trouble you are having with your browser but I clicked on the link in the first post and got the site right away so it is not down or broken.

Ralph Forehand

Post by Ralph Forehand » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:29 pm

I have a mint copy of Software at the Speed of Thought, Volume 1, First Edition, published 2003.

Priced at $25.00 incl postage. Prefer PayPal

Contact ralf7 AT verizon DOT net
"Do the right thing and everything else will take care of it's self."

pastrana

Post by pastrana » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 pm

I bought the ebook many years ago, how updated it is today?

Ben

InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Not having the First Edition to compair too, I wouldn't have a clue.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”