Excel Style Sheet within RR Project

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Mr.Bill

Excel Style Sheet within RR Project

Post by Mr.Bill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:01 am

Hello RR forum. I'm a total newbie to both RR and programing in general (but very excited about what I see in RR). But I have some strong knowledge of using excel and its VB capabilities. This leads me to my general question:

- Is it possible to create a RR project that can look and behave like an excel sheet? Mainly, when someone enters something in a cell, the entire sheet updates.

I looked at examples such as calculator, but they all seem to have only 1 field that updates. As many of us know from using excel, you want to input in 1 place and all the cells in the sheet (or book) update. Is this doable within RR or am I WAY over my head? :)

Thanks in advance for the tips, tricks, advice, and help.

Best,
- Mr. Bill :o

chriswood

Re: Excel Style Sheet within RR Project

Post by chriswood » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:34 am

I came across an excel type control a few days ago: http://www.runrevplanet.com/

Best Regards

Chris

Mr.Bill

Post by Mr.Bill » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:49 am

Thanks for the resource Chris. This looks powerful.

While I get ramped up...

Is it possible to have a RR project perform all field calculations when any field contents are changed or when a button is pressed. Preferable when any field is updated.

Thanks!

chriswood

Post by chriswood » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:58 pm

I suppose you could update items by loop through a list of fields or items in a table field. The attached file may give you a brief idea though I guess somebody with more RR experience than me could come up with better code or idea.

I've worked with a lot of projects that require similar functionality to that you describe and by far the easiest route is Excel automation, that is build a front end in something like RR and use it to control Excel via automation using VBA or similar (VBA for excel is relatively easy to learn because of its macro recording) Another choice would be an RDMS like MS Access or Filemaker, not because they are databases but because they have excellent field calculation capabilities.

Best Regards

Chris

chriswood

Post by chriswood » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:40 am

Looks like my attachment didn't upload, here it is.
Test Cells.rev.zip
(1.77 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Chris

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”