Coding Problem?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

pugalug

Coding Problem?

Post by pugalug » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:22 pm

I am making a simple 3 car* stack for iphone. I included buttons with code to advance to the next car*. I noticed when I click anywhere within the car* it will advance to the next car*. Also when I am on the 3rd car* and click the button to go back to the previous car*, it takes me to car* 1 - even if I specify in the code to go to car* 2. What did I do wrong? Also I am have to change the word CAR* in this question because I am getting an error message "You can't post image, email or url links that are external to the domain. Please remove car*" I am not posting anything except a question. Thank you guys.
Last edited by pugalug on Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klaus

Re: Coding Problem?

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 pm

Hi pugalug,

what did you script and where did you put the scripts?

Best

Klaus

P.S.
Personal note:
A little "Hello" or something would not have hurt for the very first posting.

pugalug

Post by pugalug » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:31 pm

Thank you for the reply Klaus. Hello! I hope you are having a great day. I'm sorry to have broken protocol. I am deep in thought trying to learn this and didn't think to say hello. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you! I used the mouseUp commands and put them in the code area for each of the buttons,

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi.

You need, I think five (or is it ten?) posts in order to attach anything. I would not mind if you sent a series of "test" posts that we would ignore in order for you to reach the required level.

As for your question, did you mean "card" when you posted "car*"?

Anyway, navigation is simple, but as Klaus mentioned, we need to see what you actually did. Please enclose any code you send within the code tags (</>) so they are easier to read.

Craig

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:51 pm

OK, so only your three buttons have a scipt, right?
Hm, sorry, no idea what could cause your problem then.

You could post the ZIPped stack here, but you need to have at least seven postings
before you can add attachement and post links etc.

However you could do some more or less meaningful postings here to get to that number! :wink:

pugalug

Post by pugalug » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:15 pm

Thanks guys! Yes, the word was card. However, I didn't try to post any cards. I wrote a topic using words only but got that error message. I appreciate your help. I'm trying to figure it out. I don't want to be able to click anywhere on the card and and have it advance to the next one. I want to code the buttons to work properly. :D

pugalug

Post by pugalug » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:49 pm

I got it guys! I know what I was doing wrong. I didn't click on the second button in order to write the code for it. Instead I thought of it as a whole and put the code under the code I wrote for the first button. Thanks for helping me. Much appreciation!

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:10 am

Aha. Good.

You will learn more about the nature of controls, the card on which they reside, the stack the card lives on, the hierarchy of them all, etc., as you get along.

The hard way is the best way. Just keep writing. Ask here. We all race to see who can answer first...

Craig

pugalug

Post by pugalug » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:05 am

dunbarx wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:10 am
Aha. Good.

You will learn more about the nature of controls, the card on which they reside, the stack the card lives on, the hierarchy of them all, etc., as you get along.

The hard way is the best way. Just keep writing. Ask here. We all race to see who can answer first...

Craig
I think this is great! :D

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”