Livecode calling Javascripts in internet URL sites

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

mcelvain

Livecode calling Javascripts in internet URL sites

Post by mcelvain » Tue May 30, 2023 8:20 pm

topic: LiveCode - Javascript

Plan to write a script that will engage the Javascript for this URL site and return latest responses to my noobie queries.

Although more interested in learning how to do this than simply downloading a dedicated stack, which would show sophistication currently in my future, still, it would be interesting to read through the scripting of such a stack.

Since Javascript seems continually updated, my inclination is to ask here first for reference to such stacks and tutorials before I check with those available under the “Sample Stacks” menu button.

Last time I wrote any Javascript was before many of you were born.

————

thank-you for previous answers to various queries introducing me to “modal stack,” self-parcing scripting, constraints of back scripting, usefulness of front scripting, world of debuggers, and how to fix up a screwed up message box.

Although old and slow, I much appreciate your answers and continue to mull best responses to these.

Can’t see well-enough to try various debuggers, so have written a temporary work-around.

any references to a good Retina doc near Pasadena would be a bonus.

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Livecode calling Javascripts in internet URL sites

Post by mwieder » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:43 pm

Last time I wrote any Javascript was before many of you were born.
Hee. I think I have the dubious distinction of creating the first javascript test framework when I was at Netscape, back when it was still LiveScript and LiveObjects.

But again, I'm not sure what you have in mind. There's very little javascript on this forum, mostly php. Are you wanting to hook into the notifications section? Do you want to get just responses to your posts? There are better ways to do those.

I realize you're mostly after LiveCode/Javascript interactions rather than looking for specific tasks. Mostly what I've seen involves browser objects, and since my main OS is linux we don't have those (or printing or...) I generally stay away from diving too deeply into them. But I think there are good examples both here and on the listserv.

...I only get down to Pasadena once a year for SCaLE, so I'm sorry not to be able to give you a retina doc reference. But there are other folks in the area (see the SoCal user group forum - you might try pinging there).

mcelvain

Re: Livecode calling Javascripts in internet URL sites

Post by mcelvain » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:10 am

Thank-you for your feedback, mweider!

Got hooked on JavaScript back in the day when Apple provided the option to write our own web pages.

I believe this was in the pre style-sheet epoch.

However, I never got around to linking SuperCard or AppleScript scripts to any of my JavaScript functions.

I achieved moderate success with AppleScript’s ability to emulate keystrokes at screen locations via System Events/Process calls.

But it was ugly.

For awhile, SC was able to write and execute Python commands in “Blender” for me using A.S., saving my eyes.

But now, as I’m sort of desperately trying to relieve eye strain by automating web tasks requiring passwords, other logins, etc, I see that LiveCodes URL-based approach to opening files is smooth and fast.

What I lack is technical experience; perhaps aptitude, as well.

Dunno.

But LiveCode seems like a Godsend for automating computer tasks for those moving toward the Geriatric Event Horizon.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”