Still a beginner who doesn't know how to make a group.

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

CAsba

Still a beginner who doesn't know how to make a group.

Post by CAsba » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:43 am

Hi,
I don't seem to find the info I'm looking for, in the lessons, dictionary, internet, etc.
I get it that the controls are selected, either by edit/select all or by shift and select.
Then, with the shift key down I select 'group' from the right click menu.
And all the controls remain selected, and a few minutes pass, and nothing happens. If I click anywhere the selection de-selects.
There is no group showing in Project Browser.
I was doing this to facilitate copying cards.
I must be missing something...

stam

Re: Still a beginner who doesn't know how to make a group.

Post by stam » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:48 am

You probably have the "Select Grouped" switched on in the menubar (icons).

This basically lets you select objects inside a group without having to click "Edit group" - just by clicking on them. The flip side is that you never see the actual group, just the objects inside it.

Make sure you've switched off "Select Grouped" and try again ;)

HTH
S.

CAsba

Post by CAsba » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Don't have icons, version 9.6.8.
Clicking on Object >Group Selected gets a beep.

stam

Post by stam » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:56 pm

Casba,

communication isn't easy is it? I realise English may not be your first language, but it's interesting that you go stuck on 'icons' instead of 'select grouped' as I specifically mentioned.

The menubar is at the top left of your IDE. It usually shows icons and text, but can be set to either.

One of these is a toggle button called "Select Grouped". Make sure it's toggled off/inactive.
selectgrouped.png
hopefully the arrow is big enough for you to see ;)

If you don't understand what that does, or how it can stop you from grouping objects, re-read my previous post more carefully... You can't group the same group of objects twice, hence the beep. It's just that you cannot see the group when 'Select Grouped' is active.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:13 pm

Wow! That snapshot of the menuBar stiil features the coloured icons from
before LC 8.0.0.

7.1.4:
-
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 3.21.17 pm.png
-
8.0.0:
-
Screen Shot 2022-12-20 at 3.24.05 pm.png
Last edited by richmond62 on Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAsba

Post by CAsba » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:22 pm

Er, sorry Stam, I have to insist that my menu bar does not have any icons to click on. It is just a menu bar. I thank you for your illustration as it has really clarified that I was in fact looking in the right place - it just wasn't there. It's version 9.6.8. that I have.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:19 pm

CAsba.

Likely you have BOTH the "toolbar text' and "toolbar icons" turned off.

Go to the main menubar, and under "View", make sure that "toolbar text" (and "toolbar icons", if you want them, I never do) is checked.

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:22 pm

CAsba,

To be clear, you know that there are TWO "menubars" in LC.

One is the standard menubar, (Files, Edit, etc) and the other is the "Toolbar" ("Inspector, Code, Message box...)

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:29 pm

Rereading, always a good idea, I see that CAsba states:
I have to insist that my menu bar does not have any icons to click on. It is just a menu bar. I
CAsba. Is it possible that you see the text for each toolbar function, and simply do not click those text snippets, thinking that only an icon can be clicked? If so, try clicking the words "Select Grouped"

Craig

CAsba

Post by CAsba » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:02 pm

Thank you so much, Craig ! I wasn't aware that the view menu could show the icons (that I never even knew existed). I'll start again...

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:28 pm

CAsba.

Hmmm. If you are moving forward, all good. I use only the toolbar text, just to minimize clutter.

Craig

stam

Post by stam » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:09 pm

Apologies, as far as I knew the default installation shows the menubar with both icons and text by default. Or used to anyway...
Unfortunately the easiest way to use groups is with the menubar showing - I still haven't found a direct way to 'stop editing group' without it and of course - select group. Sorry about the slightly misleading (ie coloured) menubar, I'm at work and did a quick google search for images, it's not my actual IDE, which looks like this:
IDE.jpg

I too use text only (no icons) and also have this coloured with Richard's Devolution plugin - which I highly recommend. I normally only have these 2 elements showing by default. Check out Richard's devolution plugin here: https://www.fourthworld.com/products/de ... index.html

CAsba

Post by CAsba » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:42 pm

Hi all,
Since I first raised this query about a year ago, I have stayed clear of groups, having never mastered the art of making one ! I absorbed the intricacies of datagrids, which I feel I have a decent enough understanding of, but not groups.

I reviewed groups again, as I want to give the user the opportunity to revert to a previous step in a process where she may have inadvertently made an incorrect selection. The envisaged group would consist of 5 objects, 2 fields, 2 buttons, and an enclosing rectangle; I would like to be able to copy it from screen to screen. The objects are named ...fld lastselection, fld lastselection2, btn Start again, btn go back, and graphic rectangle.

Reading through this topic, I realise that I have to set the Select Grouped option to show the 'no-entry' sign. Please, what do I do next ?

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:23 pm

Hi CAsba,

not sure what you are trying to do, do you want to select your five controls manually and then group them?
Or do you want to do this via script?

Best

Klaus

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:07 pm

CAsba.

A group is a very simple control. It has its own useful properties, and also gives its "child" controls some useful functionality. For example, if you have several radio buttons and group them, LC will automatically permit only one to be hilited at a time.

I use groups mainly to manage child controls in a common way. If I hide a group, everything inside it goes away. Otherwise one would have to do something like, say, set a custom property or use some common name convention for each child and run a loop that hides the controls that pertain.

What do you find onerous about them?

Craig

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”