Digital Humanities projects using LiveCode

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Newbie4
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Digital Humanities projects using LiveCode

Post by Newbie4 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:52 pm

All good points but we need to try different approaches to get LC more widely used and accepted. Your posts have given me some ideas.

Pushing LiveCode as a programming language in schools is an uphill battle. Teachers don't have the time to learn it and develop all the lessons/tests/etc from scratch. I.T. does not want to support it. Administration does not want to pay for it. Parents don't approve of it. Their peers do not want to accept it. No matter how good it is and how much more the students can learn with it, there are too many hurdles to overcome. We all have run into this.

Maybe we need to change the approach emphasizing LC as a solution, not just a language and show people how. It would help to get more people using it and in the process make LC more widely known and accepted. Turn them into evangelists. Word of mouth is good and the more recognition LC has, the easier time we will have getting it into the classrooms.

We should promote LC as a solution for "their" problems. Identify common problems and how LC would solve them

-- Big Data - Many people as well as academics have to deal with large amounts of data. We should show them how LC will help them in their research, studies and jobs. Maybe LC could have a webpage on "solving big data problems..."

-- AI - How about using LC to analyze, parse and study data. everyone has questions about the data they have collected or see. Show them how they can use that data to find answers. LC could have a page of useful code chunks (reading CSV/JSON/XML files, sorting data, reducing data, etc) with many examples.

-- Utilities - many people have an idea for a program/app or a suggestion to improve a program/app they already use. An idea how to change it or do it differently for them. This is usually with regard to something they use for work, at home, personally or would like to do. Lets show the how easy it would be to do it for themselves with LC. e.g. how to get data from a website (APIs), arranging and analyzing that data, etc.

Make LC the "go to" language to get things done - promote it a fast and easy solutions to your problems or whatever you want to do. Emphasize the 'ends' not the 'means' or 'process'

A website that emphasizes solutions and what you can do with simple examples of code. The goal is not to "sell" LC but to solve problems and provide answers. Give them example programs/apps to download and use. Show them the code that is in those programs. If they see how useful it is and how easy it is, they might start thinking about how it could help them, and try it. Make it "real" to them. Once they are hooked, offer an inexpensive way to get started and test the waters with their own ideas.

Anyway, if whatever you are doing is not working, try something else. It might be worth a try
Cyril Pruszko
https://sites.google.com/a/pgcps.org/livecode/
https://sites.google.com/a/setonhs.org/app-and-game-workshop/home
https://learntolivecode.com/

danielrr

Re: Digital Humanities projects using LiveCode

Post by danielrr » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:01 am

I posted que original query because I wanted to know (I still want to know) about Digital Humanities programs made with LiveCode; I can't believe that @Owlstown and myself are the only digital humanists working with LiveCode to this day!

On the other hand, I am preparing an introductory course to Digital Humanities. My first thought was to base the programming side of the course on Python (Python is everywhere in Digital Humanities), but more and more I am convinced that the ideal programming environment for such course should be LC. People with zero experience with programming but with real needs to process data for their research and their careers can start building working programs in days. This make them make a difference with their peers, and as far as I know this is the definitive charm for university students.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”