script window order in IDE

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

marksmithhfx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

script window order in IDE

Post by marksmithhfx » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:26 am

Simple question. When I open a second script window in the IDE it replaces the first one, and moves the previous first one into the 2nd tab position, etc. What I would prefer is if the windows simply retained their order: first window/script in first position, 2nd in 2nd position etc. I thought I might be able to simply use the tabs to reorder them (sort of like how you can reorder icons in the dock on the finder). However, they don't reorder. Is there any other way to accomplish this?
Mark
macOS 12.6.5 (Monterey), Xcode 14.2, LC 10.0.0, iOS 15.6.1
Targets: Mac, iOS

jacque

Re: script window order in IDE

Post by jacque » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:45 pm

I don't think so, other than closing all tabs and reselecting them in order from the history button.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:11 pm

jacque wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:45 pm
I don't think so, other than closing all tabs and reselecting them in order from the history button.
Thanks. That is what I ended up doing but figure it is worth a feature request...

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:37 pm

I suspect the idea was that the older scripts roll off the end when the number of tabs gets too large. If new tabs were placed at the end of the row then you'd lose the newest one when you added another.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:58 am

I would like that the tabs in the SE could be dragged to change their left-to-right order.

Oftentimes I will have one instance of a script open, and to check another version, I will open an identical second one. But that new one appears in a tab at the left, whereas the object it came from is invariably placed to the right of the original. So I get confused and nervous since the tabs are ordered 2,1 left to right, whereas the objects are ordered 1,2.

Trivial? Yes. But I would love to be able to reOrder the tabs.

Craig

stam

Post by stam » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:01 am

You're not wrong Craig...

Things like this are the reason i've been setting up VSCode as my main code editor. I often want to work on the same (long) script in split screen for example. Or have some code-folding when needed. Or have multiple tabs i can re-order as needed, even within each split screen.
No-can-do with built in SE.

Using VSCode needs a bit of work and everything has to be scripOnlyStacks (which as Jacque felt can be an issue for remote debugging), as LC will not/cannot integrate with this - which is a pity because many other IDEs do. But things like what you're trying to do are trivial with a proper code editor...

Downside with using scriptOnlyStacks with everything is you need to have a mechanism to load all scripts (as front/back/libraries/behaviours) and have a mechanism for removing from memory and reloading when you make changes in the external editor.
Actually quite easy to set up as a 1-time thing at preOpenStack and reloading all scripts is simple and v quick. But it's not exactly the same as the convenience of an integrated editor.

I know it ain't gonna happen any time soon (if ever), but I'd be stoked if that kind of integration would ever be feasible...

marksmithhfx

Post by marksmithhfx » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:25 am

dunbarx wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:58 am
Oftentimes I will have one instance of a script open, and to check another version, I will open an identical second one. But that new one appears in a tab at the left, whereas the object it came from is invariably placed to the right of the original. So I get confused and nervous since the tabs are ordered 2,1 left to right, whereas the objects are ordered 1,2.

Trivial? Yes. But I would love to be able to reOrder the tabs.

Craig
Just added a "feature enhancement" to the QCC... https://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=23684

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”