LiveCode 10 – Wait

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

LiveCode 10 – Wait

Post by richmond62 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:15 pm

https://livecode.com/livecode-10-sneak-peek/
Wait Enabled
This is a big deal in itself.

You may think of “wait” as just one command in your code, but that isn’t the case. In reality, the LiveCode engine uses “wait” internally for a number of operations. Because “wait” will now work, you can use blocking operations in your Web app such as get, post and delete url. A significant set of operations and features can now be implemented for your app without awkward workarounds.
The snag about this announcement is that it does NOT actually explain how this might be used in a script, it also seems to contradict itself:

"You may think of “wait” as just one command in your code" seems to imply one might already be able to include 'wait' in one's code.

But, "Because “wait” will now work" states that pre-version 10 'wait' has not worked.

I, for one, would be very grateful if someone could explain all of this, because if it "is a big deal in itself" then it deserves
a proper and full explanation.
Last edited by richmond62 on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClipArtGuy

Re: LiveCode 10 – Wait

Post by ClipArtGuy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:50 pm

It didn't work in HTML5 apps, where it will now work whenever LC 10 rolls around. At least that's my understanding of it.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:40 am

SShot 2021-09-29 at 10.38.32.png
-
Actually it is a bit pathetic announcing as a "big feature" something that has been there
for quite some time: so the "big feature" is really nothing more than a bug fix.

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:57 pm

No, you missed the point, it's a big deal. While "wait" has been around since the beginning, it wasn't possible when deploying to HTML5. Implementation in a browser was difficult and until now I thought it was probably impossible. The announcement points out that the addition of the command doesn't just affect your own scripts, it affects the internal workings of the engine broadly and so allows you to build for web using some of the same features we take for granted on desktop and mobile.

For those who build for the web, this is a big deal.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:02 pm

you missed the point
It is obvious I did. Never mind, I'm a past master at missing points.

But at least part of the reason was that it was explained in a rather opaque fashion on that web-page.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”