Code not working on Android Device

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

SparkOut

Re: Code not working on Android Device

Post by SparkOut » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:19 pm

OK another quick rearrangement after messing around with the direct GET query string.

This works on Android for me, built with Community Edition 9.6.3 (on Windows)

Code: Select all

put "filters=%7B%22" & "postcode" & "%22%3A%22" & "2103" & "%22%7D" into tFilter

put "https://data.nsw.gov.au/data/api/3/action/datastore_search?resource_id=2776dbb8-f807-4fb2-b1ed-184a6fc2c8aa&limit=1&fields=postcode,lga_name19,notification_date,likely_source_of_infection&" & tFilter into tQuery

put url (tQuery) into myJSONVar 

answer information "JSON Data Returned: " & myJSONVar

wlaughto

Post by wlaughto » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:31 am

SparkOut wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:59 pm
Now I have seen on a computer rather than phone, I can spot that you are using json data in the GET url.
This I think must be a limitation of the libUrl equivalent on Android.
I have made a few quick trials with urlEncoded filters and substituting html entities but not successfully. Is there a method in the API that you can submit the GET string with filters defined as name=value pairs rather than json?
This may well be the case, however I do not understand why it works with Indy and not Community. My view, it is a defect and as such I will raise a bug request.

In the meantime, I have worked out another way to access the data. The api also provides an SQL access path, so I have gone down that path to get the data I need.

For interest, this is what it ended up as:

put "2103" into tPC -- comment this variable would normally be supplied by UI
   if tPC = "ALL" then
      put empty into tPCFilter
   else
      put "and%20postcode%20=%20%27" into tPCFilter
      put tPC after tPCFilter
      put "%27" after tPCFilter
   end if

put "https://data.nsw.gov.au/data/api/3/action/datastore_search_sql?sql=SELECT%20postcode,%20lga_name19,%20notification_date,%20likely_source_of_infection%20from%20%222776dbb8-f807-4fb2-b1ed-184a6fc2c8aa%22%20WHERE%20lga_name19%20%3C%3E%20%27null%27%20" into tQuery
   put tPCFilter after tQuery
   put "ORDER%20BY%20notification_date,postcode" after tQuery
   answer information "JSON Query: " & tQuery

put the result into theError 

if theError is empty then
      answer information "No error found in https query"
   else
      answer information "An error occurred:" && theError & "."  -- this does not seem to work
   end if

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:24 am

Did you try the code I showed which worked for me on Android built with LC Community?

wlaughto

Post by wlaughto » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:40 am

SparkOut wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:24 am
Did you try the code I showed which worked for me on Android built with LC Community?
I assume you are referring to:

get url (tQuery)
answer the result
Yes I did, but did not work.

I also tried:-

put "filters=%7B%22" & "postcode" & "%22%3A%22" & "2103" & "%22%7D" into tFilter

put "https://data.nsw.gov.au/data/api/3/action/datastore_search?resource_id=2776dbb8-f807-4fb2-b1ed-184a6fc2c8aa&limit=1&fields=postcode,lga_name19,notification_date,likely_source_of_infection&" & tFilter into tQuery

answer information "JSON Data Returned: " & myJSONVar
however this does not work either, infact it is an incorrect construct for the query. I did plug in your 'filter' to the correct query and this did not work either. I'll keep playing with it to see if I can get this to work.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:47 am

That code works for me. The order of parameters should not matter, moving the filter to the end just made it easier to adjust, and focus on the part of the query when "answering" while testing. It's certainly a valid construction.

wlaughto

Post by wlaughto » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:33 am

SparkOut wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:47 am
That code works for me. The order of parameters should not matter, moving the filter to the end just made it easier to adjust, and focus on the part of the query when "answering" while testing. It's certainly a valid construction.
My apologies, yes it did work - fat fingers.

Still doesn't explain why this (my original code) works fine on Indy and not Community in an emulator!

Thanks for your persistence.

I have logged a bug request anyway. See if anything come of it.

wlaughto

Post by wlaughto » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:20 am

So to close this off, yes it was a bug recognised by Livecode folks, but because Community version is no longer, will not be fixed!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”