Why is LiveCode not recognized more as an app developer language?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

stam

Re: Why is LiveCode not recognized more as an app developer language?

Post by stam » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:52 pm

It’s not about the multiple windows vs single window.
The IDE is not without its issues.

From the little I’ve seen, the new IDE improves on a lot of these (or promises to anyway).

I’m not going to list the issues I encounter daily here, because frankly i know this will be met with denial and I tire of responses pontificating the current “perfect” state of the IDE, which really just boil down to “Well that’s what I know so it must be best”.

I just hope to see improvements in the many friction points I encounter daily with the current IDE…

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:48 pm

stam wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:52 pm
It’s not about the multiple windows vs single window.
The IDE is not without its issues.
Seems like we're on the same page (or card, as it were). :)

LC doesn't need to be something else. But it does need to be a solid version of what it is.

Some UX and UI refinements that often amount to little more than paper cuts would go a long way to making the current incarnation more usable.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:56 am

I’m not going to list the issues I encounter daily here
That is a pity, and re denials: I do feel that everyone's experience with LiveCode is highly individual,
so my saying "I don't see that" doesn't mean it doesn't exist, all it means is "I don't see that."

Certainly a general list of 'issues' contributed to by any one would be quite informative.

jacque

Post by jacque » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:46 pm

Here's one actionable suggestion off the top of my head which could be part of an in-your-face-oh-yes-we're-fully-owning-the-weidness content strategy:
That reminds me of your response when I was resisting moving to MC when HC died. I complained that the icons were hideous and you said, "Oh yes, aren't they though? But in MC you can make your own."

So I tried it, and haven't looked back.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

aliciasmith23

Post by aliciasmith23 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:02 pm

It is surprising how LiveCode remains somewhat under the radar in the app development world. Its intuitive, English like syntax and cross platform capabilities make it a powerful contender. Perhaps its relative obscurity stems from a lack of aggressive marketing or a preference for more mainstream languages. Nevertheless, LiveCode's potential is undeniable. For those seeking versatile solutions, especially in the realm of Android application development, exploring the offerings of a proficient android application development company.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:05 pm

Alicia.

How long have you been using LC? Do you have a license? How would you classify yourself in terms of expertise? I myself am an aged hobbyist.

I ask because your post, your first one and out of the blue, is pertinent since regulars here wonder how many LC users go unnoticed and unknown. All this to try to determine the the health of the platform and the state of the brand.

Craig

Francesco77

Post by Francesco77 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:26 pm

I think what would really help make LC more well-known and popular with students and teachers would be a model similar to what I experienced with YoYo-GameMaker.

I needed a tool some time ago to program some small educational games for my students.

In my search for a suitable tool that exports easily to Windows, macOS, Android and iOS, I came across YoYo-Gamemaker - along with LiveCode.

GameMaker is completely free to use. Only if you want to export to one of the known platforms, you need a corresponding license.

I find this method super good. You can try the program without further costs until you are sure that you can achieve the desired result with it.

When you know that you want to work with the program, you buy a license, which is also well affordable even for small developers.

Meanwhile, some of my students also work with GameMaker, which is free for them, and have a lot of fun with it.

It would be great if there was something similar for LiveCode. The price tag - even for testing and trying it out - is a not insignificant obstacle to its use in schools.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”