A cactus in the backside

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

stam

Re: A cactus in the backside

Post by stam » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:52 pm

bn wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:49 pm
The correction does not work because of a typo: botton instead of bottom
LOL - should have double checked ;)
Would be nice if the IDE would issue warnings for things like this (not errors but warnings as in other IDEs... would save SO much time debugging ;))

bn
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by bn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:57 pm

Would be nice if the IDE would issue warnings for things like this (
The IDE cannot warn you since for the IDE you set a custom property. And custom properties can perfectly be named "botton".
But many typos are caught if you turn strict compilaton mode on for the script editor. The downside is you have to declare your variables.

Kind regards
Bernd

jiml

Post by jiml » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:14 pm

For a technique that uses a single image containing all the cels of your animation (like the image you posted above), see CEL ANIMATION in Sample Stacks.

stam

Post by stam » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:24 pm

jiml wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:14 pm
For a technique that uses a single image containing all the cels of your animation (like the image you posted above), see CEL ANIMATION in Sample Stacks.
I wasn't able to find a reference to CEL ANIMATION IN sample stacks (may well be due to my old age!) - can you link?
I did find an interesting stack called 'runner 2009 - basic animation'. Not quite the same thing but useful nevertheless...

stam

Post by stam » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:41 pm

bn wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:57 pm
The IDE cannot warn you since for the IDE you set a custom property. And custom properties can perfectly be named "botton".
But many typos are caught if you turn strict compilaton mode on for the script editor. The downside is you have to declare your variables.
Hi Bernd - i definitely always have strict compilation on, having come from strongly typed environments that's a bit a safety i prefer. My right hand tends to touch type just a bit faster than my left(!) and it's not unusual that i misspell things (translocation of letters), so when it comes to variables i prefer this to be on.

Custom props are a bit different as these are not declared and I'll be honest i wouldn't really care to do that in spite of this, as i've gown accustomed to the 'liveCode' way. However, although not that frequent, issues like this occur frequently enough that quite a few hours of debugging have gone into identifying that 1 errant letter that was mis-typed.

Sadly 'warnings' (not errors) don't exist in the liveCode IDE, but it would be nice if it would if say what is perceived as custom property that was only 1-2 letters different from reserved keywords generated a cautionary warning that you could safely ignore/dismiss.

Maybe one day the IDE will cater for both warnings and errors! Until then, it's just me talking nonsense ;)

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:55 pm

Animache.jpg
-
Click anywhere on the stack . . .

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pi4e6zh2isebi ... e.zip?dl=0

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:26 pm

I thought it might be fun to make a universal handler. I agree with Stam that this shouldn't involve any repeat loops, sending a message is the way to go.

Code: Select all

local sFrame

on marchSprite pDirection
  if the shiftkey is down then exit marchSprite
  put char 1 of pDirection into tDir
  -- check if we're moving out of range:
  if sFrame > 0 and (the right of grc "ramka" < 0 or \
        the left of grc "ramka" > the right of img "B4.png") then
    put 0 into sFrame
    -- reset position so next iteration will work:
    if tDir = "R" then set the left of grc "ramka" to (the right of img "B4.png" - 1)
    else set the left of grc "ramka" to 1
    exit marchSprite
  end if
  put (sFrame + 1) wrap 6 into sFrame
  if tDir = "L" then put -4 into tStep else put 4 into tStep
  lock screen
  set the width of grc "ramka" to the width of img (tDir & sFrame & ".png")
  set the height of grc "ramka" to the height of img (tDir & sFrame & ".png")
  set the backGroundPattern of grc "ramka" to the ID of img (tDir & sFrame & ".png")
  unlock screen
  move grc "ramka" relative tStep,0 in 12 ticks -- less than this looks jerky on my Mac
  send "marchSprite tDir" to me in 0
end marchSprite
The shift key will stop the animation. It will also stop if the boy goes out of range. You can pass either the whole word "left" or "right" as the direction, or just the first letter.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

jiml

Post by jiml » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:27 pm

Stam,

Here's the link to Cel Animation
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/857/Cel-Animation

JimL

jiml

Post by jiml » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:37 pm

This, though old, may also be helpful.

go stack url "http://netrin.on-rev.com/animateimage/roach3.livecode"

stam

Post by stam » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 pm

jiml wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:27 pm
Stam,

Here's the link to Cel Animation
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/857/Cel-Animation

JimL
Thank Jim - had a look, that's really very clever!

been looking at the behaviour script (keep in mind i still consider myself a newbie round these parts!)
I was mystified at your code regarding the custom prop "AnimationData"

set the AnimationData of me to empty
yep, that makes sense

put "" into lAnimationData
this i found weird - the lAnimationData doesn't trigger an error with strict compilation on, suggesting it recognises this as a custom property and probably the AnimationData of me at that.

Is prefixing the custom prop of self with an 'L' a shortcut? i.e. is lAnimationData == the AnimationData of me in this case?

jiml

Post by jiml » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 pm

Stam wrote:
the lAnimationData doesn't trigger an error with strict compilation on, suggesting it recognises this as a custom property and probably the AnimationData of me at that.

Is prefixing the custom prop of self with an 'L' a shortcut? i.e. is lAnimationData == the AnimationData of me in this case?
The ''L' just indicates that 'lAnimationData' is a local variable. Prepending an 'L' is just a variable naming convention and is not a requirement.

Also, the data in lAnimationData is script local to a particular instance of the behavior. 'It's the 'working' data, so to speak. The AnimationData of me, on the other hand, is a custom property of the particular animated GROUP. It contains the same data as lAnimationData, but by storing the animation data as a custom property of the group that data can then persist when one leaves the card and then returns. Upon returning one only needs to call "init" rather than recalling "setup". Also the animation data will persist when the stack closes (presuming the stack is saved.)

The beauty of behaviors and custom props allows one to have several animation groups on a card running simultaneously - each with their own independently controlled settings.

stam

Post by stam » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:12 pm

jiml wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:58 pm
The beauty of behaviors and custom props allows one to have several animation groups on a card running simultaneously - each with their own independently controlled settings.
Ok gotcha - thanks
Clever animation technique, will definitely be using that ;)

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”