Linux Mint or Linux Ubuntu for Livecode

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Linux Mint or Linux Ubuntu for Livecode

Post by mwieder » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:03 pm

Hee.

Actually, what I was trying to point out was *don't* use sudo from the commandline to install just for you. It'll sort of work but sort of won't. You'll end up with permissions problems that you'll have to unravel later on.

bogs

Post by bogs » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:08 pm

Yah, most definitely don't do that unless you like going back to the command line to reset the permissions on your home folder back to the user heh. Overall it isn't terrible, but it is (depending on how many files, folders, subfolders etc you have) a good way to waste out half an hour :shock:

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:29 pm

Yep. This is from experience, and from writing up and retracting a bug report after figuring out what I messed up.
Also, when uninstalling I find it help to start from the .rurev/components folder and from the commandline say

<folderThatContainsTheVersionYouWantToUninstall>/setup.x86_64 uninstall

and that way you don't have to do any cleanup of other files/folders.

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:58 am

... when uninstalling I find it help to start from the .rurev/components folder and from the commandline say

<folderThatContainsTheVersionYouWantToUninstall>/setup.x86_64 uninstall

and that way you don't have to do any cleanup of other files/folders.
Erm, you do know that just runs the same uninstall you get just by clicking on the file, right?

As well, you still would have to delete the corresponding license and first run .lcf file, if you really want to get rid of everything installed.
(The 'bold, underlined' above assumes you only have one IDE installed and truly want all of it completely gone).

In any case, the simplest most direct route to a complete single user uninstall is simply clicking the /setup.x86_64 file to activate it.

If you want to make sure there is no Lc left, you delete the '.runrev' & 'my_livecode' folders as well.

If you have other versions of the IDE installed, and you want to keep them, then running setup is all you need to do for the version you want to get rid of, as I doubt the license file for one version is going to cruft your system up too much.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:24 pm

Hi,
mwieder wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:49 pm
That's definitely bizarre behavior you're running into.
Yup. Actually it's more for the entertainment of the esteemed community that I wrote the above. After all, it's an unsupported Linux I'm using. Unbelievable, the latest Ubuntu that LC lists is already out of support :/
mwieder wrote:
I realize this won't help your situation, but I don't have any of those problems on linux Mint 20.
It's the "Mate edition" of Linux Mint I'm using for my occasional testing, since quite some years. Works quite well. I usually install it on a separate disk, so I can use my BIOS bootloader & don't have one OS mess with the boot sectors of another one.
mwieder wrote:
The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is that possibly you still have versions stored in /opt [...]
Nope. This was the first LC install on this (fresh) Linux. But I found a culprit now:
bogs wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 pm
You don't need admin permissions to install for you only, in this case, the problem was that you were trying to install it into the 'opt' folder. What Mark alluded too was that normally, when you install for "you only", by default the installer will install it to '/home/userName/.runrev/components/LcVersion' [...]
That's it. I choose "Custom", then "for you only". As soon as you're in the "Custom" screen, "/opt/livecode ..." is in the path. It doesn't change when you select "for you only". And thus it fails.

Only when you go "Custom" directly you'll get "/home/user/.runrev ...".
The LC installer doesn't adjust the path when you switch the type in the "Custom" screen. Nor does it check the install parameters for plausibility. And it doesn't request elevated rights from the system itself (no idea if it could do this, like in Windows). It just lets you run into a poorly explained error.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:18 pm

AxWald wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:24 pm
bogs ↑ wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:00 pm
You don't need admin permissions to install for you only, in this case, the problem was that you were trying to install it into the 'opt' folder. What Mark alluded too was that normally, when you install for "you only", by default the installer will install it to '/home/userName/.runrev/components/LcVersion' [...]
That's it. I choose "Custom", then "for you only". As soon as you're in the "Custom" screen, "/opt/livecode ..." is in the path. It doesn't change when you select "for you only". And thus it fails.

**Only when you go "Custom" directly you'll get "/home/user/.runrev ...".
The LC installer doesn't adjust the path when you switch the type in the "Custom" screen. Nor does it check the install parameters for plausibility. And it doesn't request elevated rights from the system itself (no idea if it could do this, like in Windows). It just lets you run into a poorly explained error.
Oh, I see what your getting at. Your talking about when you go to the 'custom screen', and choose the radio box that says 'install for you only', and I was talking about the 'you only ' button on the main installer screen heh.

Using 'custom' button by itself allows you to choose anywhere to install it, I am guessing that the person who wrote the routine just assumes you know how the folders on your system work, although I think that the default in that screen is a poor choice (the 'opt' or really any system folder, it should default to your home directory).

** You mean only when you go to the "you only..." button directly, right? :)
I made a quickie to illustrate my contributions here :D https://youtu.be/k4K6kCoMKYc

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:14 pm

Hi,

in the screen where there's "For all users", "For you only" & "Custom", when you choose "For you only" you get the correct path.

In the screen after choosing "Custom", there's always "/opt/..." selected. It doesn't change when you select "For you only" here, and it doesn't give you a warning, as would be expected.

Just a carelessly made installer that omits error checking.

Question, out of interest:
If I make a StandAlone for Linux, I assume that it will run in the users context. Is there a possibility to ask for temporary elevated access, as it's seen in quite some Linux programs, from LC code? "get shell('sudo')" maybe?

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:15 pm

in the screen where there's "For all users", "For you only" & "Custom", when you choose "For you only" you get the correct path.

In the screen after choosing "Custom", there's always "/opt/..." selected. It doesn't change when you select "For you only" here...
Right, now (I think) we're on the same page :)
Question, out of interest:
If I make a StandAlone for Linux, I assume that it will run in the users context. Is there a possibility to ask for temporary elevated access, as it's seen in quite some Linux programs, from LC code?
Yes there is, kinda. I actually saw Richard post the answer to this similar question here I *think*, but I've never had occasion to test out how it works under more generic circumstances.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”