quick question... (show invisibles) [Solved]

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

stam

Re: quick question... (show invisibles) [Solved]

Post by stam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:28 am

I think this is true… you have to opt-in specifically with GDPR.
It’s probably acceptable to present a choice on first run… at least that’s what websites etc do…

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 pm

Software versions and screenrect are hardly identifying information. There's no way anyone can associate that with a single individual. Would that generic information actually be included in any privacy laws?
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

stam

Post by stam » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:59 pm

Honestly couldn’t say… but there’s bound to be some that would argue it’s “their” data, even if it can in no way identify them.

Personally I have zero issues with this, as mentioned. But i suspect GDPR will require consent, which is why big app names will ask your consent before collecting anonymised data, which similar to this premise, can in no way identify the user.

Now Devo is a special case - it’s software for developers who are by and large more aware of data security, and given Richard’s good name and standing and that it is open source, I think it’s reasonable to provide an opt out option only.

I guess it depends how Richard will want to tackle it. Either way I would support sharing this data, especially as Richard mentioned he would kindly share aggregated results…

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 pm

jacque wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 pm
There's no way anyone can associate that with a single individual.
You might be surprised at what (previously thought) innocuous thing can personally identify someone. Every time I read about some thing I thought would never be able to be used to id someone, someone else figures out how to id you from it.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:04 pm

jacque wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:49 pm
Would that generic information actually be included in any privacy laws?
I don't know about that data. I am pretty sure there is some generic information that is covered, almost certainly in Europe. It is a minefield that takes a lot of resources to understand and be compliant.
Hence the thought that it would be easier to go for a specific opt-in choice, given Richard's reputation among the community users who would be the subject of any GDPR option.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”