separators in popup menus? [Solved]

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

bogs

Re: separators in popup menus? [Solved]

Post by bogs » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:24 pm

The following is solely an answer to your question, not a slam, nor a disagreement with what you said, and in fact I can't say I had any problem at all finding the menu builder (but then, I more or less tore the entire original IDE apart as well, so take what you will from THAT :P )
FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:34 pm
How "hidden" is a Menu Builder tool accessible from the menu bar's Tools menu
I guess the answer to that would depend on what you came from. In Delphi or Free Pascal / Lazarus, where menus can be designed right from the properties panel, they aren't hidden at all.

In RB / Xojo, even less so (if that is possible)...

In fact, I can only ever recall having to look for a menu builder in 2 other environments / IDEs other than Lc, but that is neither here nor there. I think the section describing it on page 113 of the user guide could certainly go into more depth than 1 paragraph heh, but that is another topic ALTOGETHER.

In fact, that section would probably have been better off being merged into the section on menus around pg. 252, but that is only my opinion. I'd also say that having to read the manual to the 200'th page just to find out about how menus works might be looking for a bit much to ask, but that is only my opinion heh. Of course, I'm spoiled by the far earlier versions, where if I search for something, I can make it so all references to it come up. I *think* the latest versions are moving back that way, but can't tell for sure since the help system doesn't really work to it's full capacity here.

stam

Post by stam » Mon May 30, 2022 1:43 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:27 am
I prefer DuckDuckGo for privacy reasons
Sorry to drag this thread back up - and for an offtopic comment - i know several people here have expressed similar thoughts on DuckDuckGo, but a search landed me on this post.

I thought this article may be of interest to others: https://daringfireball.net/linked/2022/ ... -microsoft

Excerpt:
...while the browser blocks Google and Facebook trackers, it allowed Microsoft trackers to continue running.

Further tests showed that DuckDuckGo allowed trackers related to the bing.com and linkedin.com domains while blocking all other trackers.
Make of that what you will...

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:21 am

Keeping this thread well off topic, I would be grateful to know
HOW one determines which services/trackers and so forth a search engine actually uses.

https://www.ecosia.org/
-
Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 10.20.04 AM.png
-
Is Ecosia really doing the searching? Or, is this simply a front-end to something else?

stam

Post by stam » Mon May 30, 2022 9:18 am

From a link within the blog post I linked to:
You can capture data within the DuckDuckGo so-called private browser on a website like Facebook's workplace.com and you'll see that DDG does NOT stop data flows to Microsoft's Linkedin domains or their Bing advertising domains.
And FWIW, the blog I link to is a well established and interesting site - warmly recommended

Or you could use an application firewall like Little Snitch to see all the severs an app or any of its processes link to…

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Mon May 30, 2022 5:54 pm

I saw that article a while ago, I think it says that the DuckDuckGo browser has the deal with Microsoft, but if you're not using their custom browser then you're fine. That is, accessing the search engine from their web interface hasn't changed.

I use the Ghostery plugin to see what trackers are on a page and block them.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”