Script Window won't Open - Garbled Dialogue Box - RESOLVED!

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Gary Rathbone

Script Window won't Open - Garbled Dialogue Box - RESOLVED!

Post by Gary Rathbone » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:24 pm

Script Window won't Open - Garbled Dialogue Box

Hi,

I've been trying to resolve this myself, I've searched the web and this forum but can't work this out.

I have written six small LiveCode stacks, all from the same template to automate certain tasks. Three work absolutely fine, the other three have become 'corrupted'?

When I try to edit any object scripts, the script window doesn't open. What I have noticed is that I get a window called revNewScriptEditor 1 in the Livecode Window menu.

I can't access the stack script, the card script or any script at all. When I try to quit without saving, I get a dialogue box that contains 'garbled' characters, with the following three buttons...

Do you want to save changes to stack "CCT_Change_Case"

[<p><font size="11".If you don't save your changes will be lost.</p>] [<p></p] ["and all other stacks in the file "CCT_Change_Case" before closing?</b><font size="11"></p></font>]

I've created new stacks and copied the objects across. However, as soon as I do this, the new stack has inherits the same behaviour.

I am using 32bit Livecode 9-6-1, but have installed and reinstalled numerous times with different versions both 32bit and 16bit. I have also deleted the Livecode preferences, but still, the issues persist.

I've moved the stacks to another computer, and the same thing happens. Three work fine and the other three I am unable to edit.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Gary

PS I've had to remove screenshots as "You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove." which isn't helpful at all when trying to resolve problems!
Last edited by Gary Rathbone on Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bogs

Re: Script Window won't Open - Garbled Dialogue Box

Post by bogs » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:48 pm

Gary Rathbone wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:24 pm
PS I've had to remove screenshots as "You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove." which isn't helpful at all when trying to resolve problems!
Hello Gary,

About the above statement, you will find (in about 7 more posts) that the ability to post pictures will be granted. Feel free to spam this thread, or find 6 other threads you feel deserve a comment, or even start a "Hi, I'm Gary" thread, and you'll find all kinds of ways to get to the 8th (picture posting) post count.

Meanwhile, if you want to post a url, you *can workaround* the limitation by just inserting non dot characters in place of the url you have uploaded the picture too.

For instance, let's say you upload the image to postimage.com (free, no sign in required, etc. )
1. click the share file and get the forum thumbnail link
2. paste it in your reply
3. edit the '.' to be something like '~' instead (or whatever character isn't in the link, if it has hyphens or carets or whatever...)

Once you post the link edited like the above suggests, I will be happy to post it for you.

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:01 pm

Thanks for that. Hopefully, I've provided enough information to get an answer to my query.
If not, I'll spam the list so I can upload the visuals.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:17 am

Hi.

Not at all sure what is happening to you.

In a new session, can you create a new stack with a control or two, and open the Script Editor for any of them, or the card or stack? By the way, that gadget, like ALL things in LiveCode, is simple a stack, and it is named "revNewScriptEditor 1".

Craig

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 am

Hi Craig,
With three of the stacks I can open and edit any script. With the other three, the script window doesn't open, no matter what script I select. This happens on my other computer as well. So I'm guessing it's something in the stacks themselves, but I can't get into the scripts to find out.

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 pm

So, I'm guessing that no-one else has experienced this in Livecode? It's really weird and I now have concerns about the reliability of the Livecode IDE.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:34 pm

I appreciate your frustration, but
So, I'm guessing that no-one else has experienced this in Livecode? It's really weird and I now have concerns about the reliability of the Livecode IDE.
since you are the only one, it likely is something in those stacks, and not the LC IDE per se.

Can you post one? And now saying that, is anyone concerned that this will "infect" their own machines if opened?

Craig

LiveCode_Panos
Livecode Staff Member
Livecode Staff Member

Post by LiveCode_Panos » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:44 pm

Hello Gary,

Could you post here (or upload to dropbox or wetransfer) one or more of the stacks that you cannot open their scripts, so we can have a look?

Kind regards,
Panos
--

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:35 pm

The script window does open, and has the default name. When there is no content in the window it usually means the script was saved with a syntax error that is significant enough that the compiler can't resolve it, so the content is blank. The script is there but can't be displayed.

You can try opening the stack in a text editor and look for the button script. Copy it somewhere. Then open the stack in LC, navigate to the card with the button, and in LC's message box:

Code: Select all

set the script of btn <name> to empty
Then you can open the script editor and paste in what you copied. When you try to apply the script, LC will tell you where the error is. Don't save the stack until you fix the problem or comment out the bad part.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:34 pm
I appreciate your frustration, but
since you are the only one, it likely is something in those stacks, and not the LC IDE per se.

Can you post one? And now saying that, is anyone concerned that this will "infect" their own machines if opened?

Craig
I half agree. I've already said it's something to do with the stacks as it happens consistently on two computers with half of the template stacks. However, I would expect a more reasonable response from the IDE for a coding error rather than total failure and returning garbage.

PS - I'm also replying as I've been told when I hit the magic number of 8 responses I get to post some screenshots.

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:13 pm

I think I'm getting somewhere with this...

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:15 pm

... the game is afoot...
[You cannot make another post so soon after your last.]

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:16 pm

...nearly at the magic 8 then all will be revealed...

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:17 pm

...and I believe the cause of the issue is solved...although the consequences remain questionable...

Gary Rathbone

Post by Gary Rathbone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 pm

OK, so on launching three of my six stacks I am unable to access ANY scripts. The script window just doesn't open, nothing, no messages, no errors, nothing at all. The stacks were all created from the same template with some alterations, three stacks work, three stacks don't.

When quitting the three stacks that don't respond, I get the following dialogue box.
1.jpg

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”