What is the best way to develop graphics on a card that will be used for both iPhone and iPad? - Solved

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

DR White

What is the best way to develop graphics on a card that will be used for both iPhone and iPad? - Solved

Post by DR White » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:42 pm

I am working on single app for both phone and iPad.

Since the Height to width ratio are so different, how should I layout my card graphics so that they don't get so "stretched"?

Thanks,

David
Last edited by DR White on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DR White

Re: What is the best way to develop graphics on a card that will be used for both iPhone and iPad?

Post by DR White » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:50 pm

Be back in couple hours.

stam

Re: What is the best way to develop graphics on a card that will be used for both iPhone and iPad?

Post by stam » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:02 am

Think your options are to either use the fullScreenMode

Code: Select all

set the fullscreenmode of <stack> to {empty|"exactFit"|"letterbox"|"noBorder"|"noScale"|"showAll"}
or Tinker with the geometry manager - however that's a bit problematic
or perhaps resize in code in the resizeStack handler (although i've not yet delved into mobile dev and not sure if this is the correct hander)

For sure the easiest is fullScreenMode and selecting a mode you prefer, but that will not be perfect as it makes compromises - but on the other hand no further action is needed.

kdjanz

Post by kdjanz » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:20 am

Perhaps do a portrait layout and a landscape layout in two substacks and then go from one to the other based on the device orientation. Hopefully fullscreen mode would cover up the smaller differences in aspect ratio between phones & tablets.

Haven’t tried it myself, but that would be my initial strategy.

DR White

Post by DR White » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:19 pm

Thanks for the help.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”