Digital Signature

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Digital Signature

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:05 am

jameshale wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:19 am
Documentation can be found in the Dictionary.
Open the dictionary and click on the guides tab.
In the version LC has posted at their web site?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:39 am

No, in LiveCode’s IDE.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:51 am

jameshale wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:39 am
No, in LiveCode’s IDE.
Yes, so it seems.
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:24 am

FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:51 am
jameshale wrote:
No, in LiveCode’s IDE.
Yes, so it seems.
Or maybe not so much...

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:00 pm

I can never work out whether the in-built Documentation should be
famous for what it includes, or what it misses. 8)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:15 pm

bogs wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:24 am
FourthWorld wrote:
jameshale wrote:
No, in LiveCode’s IDE.
Yes, so it seems.
Or maybe not so much...
I don't understand. Is the signature widget documented in that PDF from 2017? And if so, is that content also on their web site?
Richard Gaskin

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:18 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:00 pm
I can never work out whether the in-built Documentation should be
famous for what it includes, or what it misses. 8)
The built-in docs are generally pretty good. But the copy of those the company posts at their web site is so outdated it gives an unfairly low impression of what the LC offers.
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:24 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:15 pm
bogs wrote:
FourthWorld wrote:

Yes, so it seems.
Or maybe not so much...
I don't understand. Is the signature widget documented in that PDF from 2017? And if so, is that content also on their web site?
That pdf is on the Lc website, as you can plainly see from the address, I doubt the signature widget is in that one though, you'll have to wait till they update the document to cover the current IDE (I just assume at some point they would do that, it doesn't make sense not too really).

Perhaps you could encourage them to do so, I don't use anything new enough to warrant it for myself, or, alternately, you *could* host the current pdf from the IDE yourself I suppose. That would certainly benefit you, I don't have anywhere to put it (or I would).

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 pm

But the copy of those the company posts at their web site is so outdated it gives an unfairly low impression of what the LC offers.
I think we could quite easily remove the first 9 words from that statement and it would still hold true.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:22 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:13 pm
But the copy of those the company posts at their web site is so outdated it gives an unfairly low impression of what the LC offers.
I think we could quite easily remove the first 9 words from that statement and it would still hold true.
Do you have a specific element in mind?
Richard Gaskin

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:23 pm

Do you have a specific element in mind?
Not really, because apart from stating that LiveCode runs on a wide variety of platforms, it says little about the whys and the wherefores.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm

bogs wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:24 pm
FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:15 pm
bogs wrote:

Or maybe not so much...
That pdf is on the Lc website, as you can plainly see from the address
A URL tells us what server a resource resides on, but not what pages there may have a findable link to it, if any.
I doubt the signature widget is in that one though
And therein lies the challenge of finding documentation on the signature widget when outside the IDE.
you'll have to wait till they update the document to cover the current IDE (I just assume at some point they would do that, it doesn't make sense not too really).

Perhaps you could encourage them to do so
I did, a few months ago.
alternately, you *could* host the current pdf from the IDE yourself I suppose. That would certainly benefit you, I don't have anywhere to put it (or I would).
PDFs are prohibitively cumbersome to attempt to read on a phone. They were wonderful back in the 90s when they were invented, but in our modern mobile era HTML -- which can gracefully reflow content for any screen size -- is the better choice. Where portability is needed, ePub is a convenient and widely supported packaging format for HTML.

I'm disinclined to invest time into making yet another third party documentation repo. Max's wiki has some great additional content, but is laden with ads, difficult to navigate, and AFAIK unsearchable. Milby's is a more current copy than LC's, but a copy, so things not documented in the LC dictionary aren't in his either, and the CSS makes the site equally challenging to attempt to use on a phone.

A community's time is best spent crafting things that add unique value to a product's ecosystem. Merely replicating a resource to compensate for a vendor leaving the resource fallow neither improves the vendor's public image nor makes good use of the community member's time.

It is in the company's interest more than anyone else to put their best foot forward in their presentation of their own resources. This is especially true when the resources are learning materials, affecting product adoption and by extension conversion rates.
Richard Gaskin

bogs

Post by bogs » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:44 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm
A URL tells us what server a resource resides on, but not what pages there may have a findable link to it, if any.
Not sure I understand what you mean. The url answers the (bold) part of your previous question -
FourthWorld wrote:
I thought you were asking if the pdf I linked to was on their site, hence my response that you can see that it is in the URL. If I didn't grok your question correctly, sorry hah.
FourthWorld wrote:
bogs wrote:I doubt the signature widget is in that one though
And therein lies the challenge of finding documentation on the signature widget when outside the IDE.
Hence I suggested that eventually they might update the doc on their site, etc, which you mentioned later in your post. For all I know, it could very well *be* in that doc, I don't use as you well know any versions past 6.x, I have no interest in widgets of any kind, I really didn't look, etc. I just pointed out a resource that might be able to help someone browse the user guide outside of the IDE.
PDFs are prohibitively cumbersome to attempt to read on a phone. They were wonderful back in the 90s when they were invented, but in our modern mobile era HTML -- which can gracefully reflow content for any screen size -- is the better choice. Where portability is needed, ePub is a convenient and widely supported packaging format for HTML.
Since I don't own a mobile phone, nor a tablet, I would know less than nothing about them, I assume that the web browsers on them would support viewing pdfs, though, just as they do on desktops. If that is not the case, well, again, I didn't know.
Max's wiki has some great additional content, but is laden with ads, difficult to navigate, and AFAIK unsearchable. Milby's is a more current copy than LC's, but a copy, so things not documented in the LC dictionary aren't in his either,
When I go to Max's Wiki, this is what I see -

Mobile doesn't have ad blockers or privacy extenstions either? Pretty sure Ghostery works on mobile, I've never seen an ad on the Wiki. The search is being pointed to by the red arrow, I can't imagine that it is any harder to use search than any other typing on mobile.
Merely replicating a resource to compensate for a vendor leaving the resource fallow neither improves the vendor's public image nor makes good use of the community member's time.
Surprisingly enough, I completely agree with you on this point <shocking, I know>, however, I apply it equally to all vendors, including Lc itself. I'm sure you don't see any similarity there heh, however, I suspect that ultimately people don't look for whoever the dev. of widget "My Spiffy Widget" was, they assume that Lc put it into the IDE and so must have approved of it, poor docs and all. I know for sure I certainly would.

Luckily, this is fairly easy to remedy, simply insist on proper documentation of widget xyz before allowing it to be submitted, or don't allow it to be submitted.
It is in the company's interest more than anyone else to put their best foot forward in their presentation of their own resources.

I've been saying that since shortly after I got here, so you'd find no disagreement from me on that one :D

jameshale

Post by jameshale » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:20 am

The widget docs are in the widget code.
Within the IDE at least for LC 9 the docs are extracted from them and presented in the Guide tab of the dictionary.

EddieLee

Post by EddieLee » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:28 am

Klaus wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:08 pm
EddieLee wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:00 pm
Any idea what the signature widget looks like? Can’t find it on the items panel...
Come on, there are no THAT much controls in the tools palette! 8)

It looks like a pencil over a rectangle with rounded corners.
signature_control.jpg
Hi Klaus,

I just checked on my side and seem like there is not such a tool available. I've checked with LC and it seems like only Indy version and above have this signature widget... Unless i can download an extension and add it in but i guess its impossible.

Thanks !
Eddie :D

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”