Extra 'title bar' in new stack

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

weedinner

Extra 'title bar' in new stack

Post by weedinner » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi everyone,

While writing some code I must have pressed a key combination which accidentally created a new 'title bar' directly under the main one.

This new title bar now appears on any new stack. How can I get rid of it.

Many thanks

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Extra 'title bar' in new stack

Post by dunbarx » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:38 pm

AHA.

Finally someone else. I have had this issue for many months; it just happened one day.

If you clear the "resizable" property in the inspector, it goes away. Of course, you may need to change that back and forth during development.

There was much discussion here about this, many thought it had to do with finder tab settings for new windows.

Nope.

Craig

weedinner

Post by weedinner » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks Craig

Thats been driving me mad for a day or two. Would love to know that key combination I hit !

weedinner

Post by weedinner » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:50 pm

Craig

That works with the stack window but I am also getting it on every other window, dictionary, code editor etc

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:13 pm

Yep. everything LiveCode, though not the SE. Nothing in other applications, though.

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 pm

This has been discussed at length, but not to my satisfaction, FWIW.

What you're seeing isn't a title bar per se, but a tab.

You'll see this in any window the OS believes is a "document", which in LiveCode means only toplevel stacks.

But toplevel stacks are used for all sorts of things, only sometimes serving as documents, so this can get confusing quickly.

The confusion is apparently confounded by a design flaw in the OS, where this tab UI is applied to windows with no other tabs, making it as useless as it is visually disorienting.

The part that I find unsatisfying is the proposed "solution": to turn off tabbing in the OS settings.

This is a non-starter for two reasons:

- Roughly 80% of users never modify prefs, so we need to do our best to make sure the defaults provide the best experience for the most people.

- Given that users don't see this in other apps, it seems there must be some sort of flag the application can set to tell the OS that tabs need not be applied to its windows. The core team should find and apply that flag.

I hope someone files a bug report on this, or adds to it if it's in the bug DB already. We simply can't expect users to tolerate bathing required to modify their system settings just for our LiveCode apps.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:35 pm

FourthWorld wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 pm
This has been discussed at length, but not to my satisfaction, FWIW.

What you're seeing isn't a title bar per se, but a tab.

You'll see this in any window the OS believes is a "document", which in LiveCode means only toplevel stacks.

But toplevel stacks are used for all sorts of things, only sometimes serving as documents, so this can get confusing quickly.

The confusion is apparently confounded by a design flaw in the OS, where this tab UI is applied to windows with no other tabs, making it as useless as it is visually disorienting.

The part that I find unsatisfying is the proposed "solution": to turn off tabbing in the OS settings.

This is a non-starter for two reasons:

- Roughly 80% of users never modify prefs, so we need to do our best to make sure the defaults provide the best experience for the most people.

- Given that users don't see this in other apps, it seems there must be some sort of flag the application can set to tell the OS that tabs need not be applied to its windows. The core team should find and apply that flag.

I hope someone files a bug report on this, or adds to it if it's in the bug DB already. We simply can't expect users to tolerate bathing required to modify their system settings just for our LiveCode apps.
I brought this up on the LC Gitter chatroom once a long time ago now, but was told then something like "that's just part of the OS" which of course I knew that, but LC's handling of that addition to the OS is very much non-standard and I'd say certainly buggy.

The Show Tabs / Hide Tabs SHOULD be in the View menu, but the OS standard version of the view menu is rebuilt/replaced by LiveCode whenever it becomes the foreground app.
Here is a recipe to get it to show (just now tested with latest LC Indy on macOS 10.14.6):
1) With NO Stack Window selected, click on your Desktop to switch to the Finder.
2) Now switch back to LiveCode as foreground app by clicking the LC icon in the Dock, NOT by clicking on any LC/stack window.
3) Without clicking on any LC Window/Stack/Palette go directly to the view menu and viola, Show/Hide tabs menu items are there.
4) Click on any LC/Stack window, now go back to the View menu, PMOOF! Those menu items vanish.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.20.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.20.22 PM.png
My GitHub Repos: https://github.com/PaulMcClernan/
Related YouTube Videos: PlayList

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Paul.

I do not see what you are seeing, and your pictures do not show the "show/hide" thing you mentioned. Anyway, nothing changed.

Craig

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:30 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:48 pm
Paul.

I do not see what you are seeing, and your pictures do not show the "show/hide" thing you mentioned. Anyway, nothing changed.

Craig
It's a bit tricky, try it multiple times, and be very quick when bringing up the view menu after you switch back from the Finder (before the LC Engine has a chance to replace the menu)

It's actually "Show Tab Bar" and it becomes "Hide Tab Bar" when Tabs are already showing.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 5.28.38 PM.png

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:52 am

Anyone here know if there's a bug report filed on this?
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

bobcole

Post by bobcole » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:04 am

The problem of the "Show Tab Bar" item under the View menu just happened to me, too. I am using LC Indy 9.6.2 (rc 2).
I had just started LC when accidentally I clicked on the View menu and activated the first item (Show Tab Bar). I couldn't get it to go away.
I tried the suggestions above but they didn't work for me.
I began to wonder if the extra tab bar had infected all the LiveCode versions on my system (Mac Mini 2020 - Arm M1, Big Sur 11.1).

I quit out of LC and fired up LC Indy 9.6.2 (rc 1) and could see the tab bar in one of my stacks.
I quickly clicked on the View menu and was then able to see the "Hide Tab Bar" item. Clicking on that cleared up the problem.
Using the Command-Tab keys, I switched to Finder and back to LC where I could see the Show Tab Bar menu under the View menu. After that, I released the mouse which must have then given LC time to replace the menu so the Tab Bar items were not shown again.

Quitting the (rc 1) version and returning to the (rc 2) version, the Tab Bar was gone, fortunately.
I was able to catch this image:
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 9.52.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 9.52.42 PM.png (31.17 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
I tried but now I can't build a recipe that reproduces the Tab Bar items. Odd.

If anyone else gets clobbered with this problem try switching to a different version as explained above.
Hope this helps,
Bob

PaulDaMacMan

Post by PaulDaMacMan » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:04 am

I actually WANT that tabs menu item to be there and be functional, I'm looking into it.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”