mobilePick issues with text

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Opaquer

mobilePick issues with text

Post by Opaquer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:37 am

Hey guys

So, I finally got my sudoku app out there into alpha testing, and some weird things are happening with mobilePick

As far as I understand it, it makes a default Android option choice come up that the user can choose an option from.

Now, here's an Imgur link to an album displaying my phone's mobilepick option (the top one), and one of my tester's mobilepick options (the bottom one)

This only just started happening (it was working fine before), and the choice of what goes into the mobile pick is hard coded, so it's not like my tester's option is empty or something - my tester's best guess is that it looks like the text of the mobilepick option has turned white! I had a read through the dictionary and couldn't find any option to change it (and with all the stuff in my app, it's never changed despite having the same version?)

Is this something simple like I accidentally changed the default font colour of mobilepicks or something, or is it an issue with Android that's causing it?

Many thanks!

EDIT: My tester also sent me this link of an answer dialogue I have. How can the text change to a white colour? Doesn't Android specifically handle the colour and look of it rather than anything that happens in Livecode?

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: mobilePick issues with text

Post by jacque » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Answer and ask dialogs are attached as substacks in standalones and will inherit the colors of the mainstack. It looks like the same is true for the mobilePick overlay. Does your stack use white text?
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:17 pm

So I did a bit of digging into it, and it looks like it's an issue arising from my tester using dark mode on their phone, as it doesn't happen when dark mode is disabled. My phone doesn't do it, so I'm guessing it's something that's either phone specific or OS specific (the phone has the latest version of MIUI that just came out recently - I have one earlier version of MIUI, so it could be an issue with the latest version specifically). I'll have to do some more digging and see if I can find a way around it!

Edit: sorry, I missed the last part of your question. I have 3 different themes available - 2 of which use white text. Oddly enough, this is what's happening on the theme that *doesn't* use white text and uses black text instead.

There's a bunch of weird stuff happening with it - I have a white colour that I've got stored in a global variable. Every time the user goes to a new stack, the backgroundColor of the stack is set to the global variable, just to make sure with everything else going on that the right theme was being set. However, when my tester chooses the light theme, they're getting a black backgroundColor instead of a white one.
In fact, everything that's meant to change for a light theme, like the text colour, border colour, background colour, and possibly another one I'm forgetting, is actually being changed to the dark theme for only *some* cards. It's like the settings are being flipped around, but only on certain cards for no reason. It's also had cases of going out of a card and back in, and it ends up changing the colour settings again. It's super, super, super strange! And yet, the behaviour doesn't happen on my phone, even with dark mode enabled.

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:16 pm

So I did some research into it, and it looks like it's an issue with MIUI 12. Their latest option for dark mode forces dark mode on as many apps as it can, even if the app itself doesn't support dark mode. As far as I can tell, that's the only reason that's happening, as other used have complained of similar issues with other apps :)

jacque

Post by jacque » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:43 pm

In LC 9.6.1 there's a toggle in standalone settings to support dark mode. I think the default is off, but double check to be sure. Are you using that version of LC?

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:00 am

Hey Jacque, I've got LC 9.6 - I'll see if I can update to 9.6.1 and see if that helps with it! Thanks for the tip!

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:53 am

Hey Jacque

I updated to 9.6.1 and couldn't find the settings under the standalone settings anywhere, but it's totally fine - I told my tester the issue and they understand completely. They use the app in dark mode anyway, which doesn't clash with the phone settings, so it's all good :)

Thanks for the tips and help :)

jacque

Post by jacque » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:04 am

I'm sorry, I misled you. The toggle is in the iOS pane of standalone settings, not Android. It was recently added to support new Apple requirements. I had to double check when you said you couldn't find it.

Opaquer

Post by Opaquer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:08 am

Ah, that makes sense! Unfortunately last time I looked at it (like 5ish years ago), developing for Apple required an actual physical Mac instead of just a VM, plus it costed like $100 USD annually for the app to go on the app store, and I didn't want to deal with all that especially since I don't have a physical Mac to save the code as a standalone for me :P

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”