Raspberry Pi

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

anmldr

Raspberry Pi

Post by anmldr » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:33 am

I have never used a Raspberry Pi...it looks like fun. But I do not know about LC and Raspberry Pi. Does the LC SDK work on it or can LC be used only for creating standalones that work on Raspberry Pi (as well as others too).

Linda

SparkOut

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by SparkOut » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:38 pm

The LiveCode IDE does work on the Raspberry Pi, but it is pretty slow for me on a Pi 3.
Standalone builds work ok as well but still not lightning fast. The most recent version that works on Pi builds is 7.04 I believe. Older versions (pre Unicode refactoring) work faster.
Hermann [-hh] no longer posts here, a sad loss to the community, but he used to be prolific with sample stacks, many optimised to perform snappily on Pi. Some resources have been pruned but you can still find valuable stuff of his, along with others, in the Raspy section.
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=105

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by ghettocottage » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:01 pm

I have a few raspberry pi zero's out in the field (some of them literally out in a field) that work in conjunction with Livecode Server. Rather than running livecode on the pi, I use bash or python scripts on the pi to send data to a livecode server (a VPS from Linode or digitalOcean), and use the server to do all the things ( crunch numbers, display web-pages, etc ).

For this purpose, they work great. By keeping installation on the pi minimal/native, I am able to use the pi for data collection/data-relay and use the server to write all my fun livecode.

Last year I did a project with the 8th grade class at my son's school. We set up a pi weather station that runs from a solar panel and sends the weather data to the livecode server that has a very simple interface:

https://status.sierrawaldorf.com/

In short: pi's may not be great for running livecode (yet), but they can certainly be used in a system that incorporates livecode-server and livecode apps.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:47 pm

Just to be clear, Pis can run LiveCode perfectly well, if a highly responsive GUI isn't required. I have several projects that work perfectly well with a LiveCode app running, for various things but include a Pi Zero W being a controller for a maglock to open a door when receiving the correct socket instruction via Wi-Fi.
I do also have live display of timers cointing down and receiving remote data to display at the same time.
So, there are limitations to performance, but don't let that stop you from trying things out, especially if you don't need a zippy interface.
Also I have not tried with a Pi4 yet. Could have a performance boost there.

Bazul
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by Bazul » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:46 pm

ghettocottage wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:01 pm
I have a few raspberry pi zero's out in the field (some of them literally out in a field) that work in conjunction with Livecode Server. Rather than running livecode on the pi, I use bash or python scripts on the pi to send data to a livecode server (a VPS from Linode or digitalOcean), and use the server to do all the things ( crunch numbers, display web-pages, etc ).
I have a similar project starting up and would like to know a little more about interfacing sensors/PiZ/Python with livecode. Any pointers to get a head start?

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”