A stack "revCursors" is already in memory

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: A stack "revCursors" is already in memory

Post by dunbarx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:54 pm

Richard.
Do you recall how those for there? Are they useful to you in your development stack file?
Not sure what you wrote.

How would, when building a standalone, dismissing a benign but annoying dialog be useful in development?

Anyway, I made another standalone and the dialog telling me that "revCursors' is already in memory comes up twice during the build process. I think I remember it coming up only once, oh, last year, but now twice.

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:59 pm

dunbarx wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:54 pm
Richard.
Do you recall how those for there? Are they useful to you in your development stack file?
Not sure what you wrote.
I'd meant "how those got there" (typing on a phone is so cumbersome the very act of attempting it should put to rest any notion of a phone being a substitute for a computer).
How would, when building a standalone, dismissing a benign but annoying dialog be useful in development?
I dunno, but you've described having chosen to leave them there for a long time, so I figured you had a reason for doing so that I hadn't considered.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Richard.
you've described having chosen to leave them there for a long time
Nope, I am just not looking for trouble. But because I like you, I decided to, again, delete "revCursors" and "revMacCursors" via the PB.

This time in a new build I got the dialog about four times for "revCursors" and ten times for "revMacCursors". Also, for some reason, "answer dialog" a couple of times. The build process itself reLoaded the two cursor stacks into the splash stack.

Again, nothing broken, just rather more annoying than before. I was very dismissive of these dialogs.

There were no changes at all in any stack in my application between tests. When I made yet another build, I was back to "normal", that is, one "revCursors" and two "revMacCursors". No more "answers".

If it ain't completely broke, don't fix it just a little.

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:12 pm

If those stacks are no longer present and you're getting a message that they are, that's definitely a bug well worth reporting.
Richard Gaskin

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:26 pm

Richard.

You are saying that the reloading of those stacks by the standalone build process is a bug? If so, I will indeed report it.

I am, like many others, used to software rebuilding files that have been deleted by the user, that action done to "refresh" the program. This sort of reloading does seem to be at much higher (too high?) a level than, say, deleting the LC preference file. Is that what you mean?

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:07 pm

The Standalone Builder adds several things to a stack file when making the app. But those additions should be present in the copy of the stack file used to make the final build, not the development stack you've been working on. Any of those added to the development stack would be a bug.
Richard Gaskin

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:32 pm

OK then. Deleting from the development stack and making a standalone definitely restores them back into the dev stack. I am on it.

Craig

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:42 pm

Well, maybe not.

I made a brand new splash stack and another stack, attaching that stack to the splash. A button on each stack, nothing else, no code. On splash I manually set the same inclusions as in my main project.

During a standalone build, I get no dialog asking about cursors. I do get a dialog telling me that the "Lipo Command" requires command line developer tools, and offers a version of XCode. I do not use, or even have XCode resident.

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:53 pm

Good to see that whatever had caused the errant substack copying appears to have been fixed.

But the "Lipo" thing is odd. Building for iOS?
Richard Gaskin

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 pm

But the "Lipo" thing is odd. Building for iOS?
No. desktop.

Do you know what that is?

But now my only recipe is to send my project to Scotland. I don't have problem with that; it is purely for in-house use. But does this make sense? There is something about my project that is causing an issue that others have also seen. I call the cross cursor in a handful of places, if that means anything at all.

My very small new standalone, in which I just added the same cursor call in both the splash and working stack, does not have it.

I included the dialog about "Lipo". This is not a modal dialog; I need not dismiss it to allow the build to finish, and I can leave it open while I am doing other things.

Craig
Lipo.zip
(40.71 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:41 am

Seems a bug. We scripters should never be bothered with engine implementation details.

FWIW, I found some background on lipo - if the name reminds you of "fat", there's a reason for that, it's a set of utilities for the modern equivalent of what Apple used to call "fat binaries":
https://eclecticlight.co/2020/07/24/mag ... -binaries/
Richard Gaskin

jacque

Post by jacque » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Craig, are you using "search for inclusions"? It doesn't sound like it but just checking.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:07 pm

Jacque.

I never do, I include manually. I changed at least a year ago when we all pointed out the time saving of a standalone build. I wonder if the cursors thing appeared at that time. But I am not seeing the connection between (possible) missing libraries and notification that a stack is already in memory.

The stacks are related to the splash stack. If I delete them via the PB, no dialogs appear when I open that stack. But if I build a standalone, I always get the notices during the build. And from then on, if I simply open the splash stack, I also get them. And of course, a new build presents them again.

So they are opened during a build, even if, right before that build, they are not seen in the PB, and therefore, I assume, not in memory.

Craig

Francesco77

Post by Francesco77 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:55 pm

I get this "revCursors is already in memory" message since my first try to build a windows standalone version with the current Indy 9.6.2. rc3 build.

And really there is such a substack that I can see in the project browser. Unfortunately it is not possible to remove or delete this substack.

I then openend the revCursors substack and found a window or card with the title "Betaversion" that contains a lot of different mouse cursors.

Since it is not possible to remove this stack and the a.m. message pops up all the time I think that this is not how it's supposed to be.
Maybe a bug in the rc3?
revcursor.png

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Buongiorno Francesco,

do this:
Open your stack
Enter this in the message box:

Code: Select all

delete stack "revCursors" of stack "name of YOUR stack here"
Save your stack and that's it! :-)