How to deal with database files for an app?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

AxWald

Re: How to deal with database files for an app?

Post by AxWald » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi,

never really tried Cobian - but on Windows "robocopy" is an extremely powerful cmd line tool for such tasks. For those who love cmd line tools with gazillions of parameters. Try "robocopy -?" and shudder ;-)

I used it for some tasks where basic copy/ xcopy didn't work well (loooong filepaths, over network, etc.) and was impressed: it's faster than I ever could imagine it possible.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

ghettocottage
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by ghettocottage » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 am

never really tried Cobian - but on Windows "robocopy" is an extremely powerful cmd line tool for such tasks. For those who love cmd line tools with gazillions of parameters. Try "robocopy -?" and shudder ;-)

I used it for some tasks where basic copy/ xcopy didn't work well (loooong filepaths, over network, etc.) and was impressed: it's faster than I ever could imagine it possible.
Would you use Windows Scheduler to automate it, or is it something you write a script for? I don't use Windows enough to know the best practices for such things.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi,
ghettocottage wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:58 am
Would you use Windows Scheduler to automate it, or is it something you write a script for?
I'm trying to use as much "standard procedures" of the OS as possible. They usually cause the least problems, on Win anyways :)

Yes, for running automated tasks I use the scheduler ("taskschd.msc"). It works flawless & reliable, has more options than I'll ever need, has a comfortable UI, does logging and keeps anything (all automated tasks) together. (There's a cmd line version for admins, too: "schtasks -?")

So I'd put together my "robocopy" cmd line, test it, test it again ([repeat until happy]), and create a scheduled task with it.

An "IMHO" to the discussion here:
I love SQLite, I use it a lot, but in this case I'd look elsewhere: I'd never use a single database on a single (even professionally administered) machine for mission critical data. Period. This would be calling for disaster. As the OP has learned.

Such data are to reside in a data center with controlled climate, redundant UPS, continuous backup, continuous monitoring, a big store of spare parts and a team of dedicated techs ready to act at the first signs of failure!
This isn't expensive anymore - for ~€10/ month you get the services of a _good_ web hoster, with many databases, cronjobs, SSH, plenty bandwidth and good service. And this is by far enough for small to medium companies, and for even large databases. You'll be limited to mySQL/ MariaDB usually, but maybe you'll even get PostgreSQL.

€10/ month, and you have most of your problems solved for you. Download & store periodical SQL dumps additionally, and you're waterproof. And you get some domains, email, webserver, php & whatever, on top. For no further cost ;-)

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”