Can't place a group

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

danielrr

Can't place a group

Post by danielrr » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:01 pm

In a particular stack I have created, I cant place any group in another substack. :cry: I mean I can create groups. rename them, but if I move to any other substack, the option "place group" will never appear. Any hint?

jmburnod
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Can't place a group

Post by jmburnod » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi,
I never used a group of a main stack for placement in a substack.
I believe that we can't place a groupe onto a card if the group isn't inside stack. I get this error:
group is not in this stack or is already on this card
This explaines why menu "place group" is not available.
Best regards
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Hi friends,
jmburnod wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:05 pm
I believe that we can't place a groupe onto a card if the group isn't inside stack.
EXACTLY! :-)

Best

Klaus

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:28 am

Hi.

The real point of the "place" command is usually (always?) about making copies of a group that have their sharedBehavior and backGroundBehavior set to "true". That is, groups that appear on multiple cards and share lots of properties.

To use this command to make a copy of a group in another stack, (the fact that it is a sub stack is not pertinent) is, at the very least, odd. Do you see? Usually, one navigates from card to card, and the composition of controls in the several shared groups are held in common. Depending on the sharedText of, say, fields in each group, the contents of those fields might be the same or different. This sort of behavior makes little sense between stacks.

You can always copy a group to another stack.

Craig

jmburnod

Post by jmburnod » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:42 am

Craig,
You can always copy a group to another stack.
Yes we can copy a group to an other stack but that could create confusion and that would be a good idea to rename it to avoid confusion.
Best
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:20 am

Jean-Marc.

I know.

I was trying to make the point that "placing" a group usually involves groups that will "work" together, in whatever way, and that if one wants to get that group to another stack, copying is the way to go, since there is no particular connection between groups that live in different stacks. Such groups might look the same, but they cannot share the things that groups in a single stack can.

In other words, the "place" command is both more and different than the "copy" command, in that it involves groups with shared interests.

Craig

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”