Move substack to file not working

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

japino

Move substack to file not working

Post by japino » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:51 pm

I'm using Livecode 9.5.0 Community Edition on a Mac.
I'm trying to get a standalone to save data in a stack using the launcher stack method.
This has worked fine for me before. It doesn't work in a small new project I'm working on now.
I'm trying to find out why.
I've seen some other posts where the Launcher stack and the Main App stack are separate files.
I'm now trying to follow those posts, but my Main App stack is embedded in the launcher stack.
But "Move substack to file" isn't working at all. What could be the reason?

jmburnod
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Move substack to file not working

Post by jmburnod » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi,
Maybe

Code: Select all

set the mainstack of stack "mySubstack" to the short name of  stack "mySubstack"
Best regards
Jean-Marc
https://alternatic.ch

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Hi.

The launcher stack (or "splash" stack) must be in its own file. Period. That stack and all its substacks will not be saved.

When you build a standalone, you can attach as may other stack files as you wish, each of which will contain a mainstack. and it makes no difference how many substacks are included.

What Jean-Marc suggested will break the link of a subStack to its former mainStack, since it now is its own mainStack. But that is at the stack level. Make sure, as per the above, that at the file level, the launcher contains no stacks of any kind that are to be saved.

Craig

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:01 pm

Unless you plan on updating your stack files independently from your standalone, the benefits of going through the extra steps to separate them are minimal. You can just leave 'em where they are and focus on feature development.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

japino

Post by japino » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks for all the replies, I finally got everything working by following the lesson on how to use a launcher stack and the information in https://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.p ... sh#p181803. The livecode file with my main application now gets stored in the Documents folder and gets updated between launches.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”