This could be easy, or very hard...

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

sms5138

This could be easy, or very hard...

Post by sms5138 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create an app that will lock, or block, children from using their iPad after a certain amount of time, but the timer will only start after the child is out of school, and allow it to unlock using a password created by me. I have the password system all set up, but i'm not quite sure how to handle the "locking" behavior...

I've done some digging on the subject, but i'm kind of hitting a wall... i'm thinking I could have it use local push notifications, or something like that to send a notification that the timer is running out. however, i'm at a loss as to what capabilities i have once it hits zero.

I wanted to see if anyone had ideas or resources.

Thanks in advance

-Sean

Klaus

Re: This could be easy, or very hard...

Post by Klaus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Hi Sean,

I don't think that you can "hack" iOS to do what you want = lock the device!

E.g. it is not possible to deactivate the hardware button without hacking deeply into the OS,
so whatever your LC app will do, the kid can press that button and you are out of the game.

Best

Klaus

sms5138

Post by sms5138 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:04 pm

Klaus wrote:Hi Sean,

I don't think that you can "hack" iOS to do what you want = lock the device!

E.g. it is not possible to deactivate the hardware button without hacking deeply into the OS,
so whatever your LC app will do, the kid can press that button and you are out of the game.

Best

Klaus
That's a good point, my goal would not be to do anything that would compromise the OS in any way. Just wanting to find a way to manage the usage of the system consistently...

would it be possible to have a push notification or local notification call to open my application?

For example, when time ran out my application would open up and block their view of the game they're playing. If they closed it then it would open again until i enter my password?

-Sean

sms5138

Post by sms5138 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:08 pm

sms5138 wrote:
That's a good point, my goal would not be to do anything that would compromise the OS in any way. Just wanting to find a way to manage the usage of the system consistently...

would it be possible to have a push notification or local notification call to open my application?

For example, when time ran out my application would open up and block their view of the game they're playing. If they closed it then it would open again until i enter my password?

-Sean
Possibly something using

Code: Select all

launch URL
or something like that?

sms5138

Post by sms5138 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:43 pm

Actually.. i'm not sure that I can do this using livecode at all. I don't think that notifications can do anything more than what their name implies.

Also I could be wrong, but from what i'm seeing there is no real way to have your livecode app run in the background. Which would be needed to achieve this.

According to discussions like the one seen here:

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10538

oh well... it was worth a shot!

-Sean

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”