Confused with local variable usage

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

Weaksafety

Confused with local variable usage

Post by Weaksafety » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to set a local variable in a card script, so that I can update its value and get it as needed.

On the card script I've written:

Code: Select all

local thisVar = 23

on tryThis
   answer thisVar
end tryThis

In the same card there's a button that does this:

on mouseUp
   put 21 into thisVar
   tryThis
end mouseUp
If I click on the button, '23' is answered instead of '21'. I suppose it's because I should tell Livecode that the value of thisVar should be looked up the card script, but I can't find a solution.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a mil! :D

magice

Re: Confused with local variable usage

Post by magice » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 pm

the problem, is that you applied the new value from a different script (the button)
try this

in the card script:

function tryThis tX
  put tX into thisVar
return thisVar
 end tryThis
now call it from the button like this

on mouseUp
answer tryThis(25)
end mouseUp
untested so might contain typos. The idea is to pass the variable from your button to the card script through a function.

Weaksafety

Post by Weaksafety » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Thanks, I'm still doubtful on one thing though: how can I update the value of a local variable, declared at the card level, from an object on the same card?
Do I need to create a function on the card that's tasked to update the value, or is there a quicker way?
:D

magice

Post by magice » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:30 pm

Weaksafety wrote:Thanks, I'm still doubtful on one thing though: how can I update the value of a local variable, declared at the card level, from an object on the same card?
Do I need to create a function on the card that's tasked to update the value, or is there a quicker way?
:D
actually what I usually do, is use a custom property of the card, but a function works.

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by dunbarx » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi.

Try this: Make a button and a field on a new card. Put this in the button script:

local xx

on mouseUp
   add 1 to xx
   put xx into fld 1
end mouseUp
And the same thing in the card script.

Now hit the button several times. Then click somewhere on the card a few times. The variable "xx" is only local to the scripts it resides in, not across scripts. For that you need a global, or as Magice says, and I agree, a custom property. Do you have experience with these? They are just wonderful, and they even survive sessions. Write back if you need advice.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”