Connecting Urls and Audiofiles

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, kevinmiller

crush423k

Connecting Urls and Audiofiles

Post by crush423k » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:14 pm

I want to make a small random url generator, based off a preset list with multiple url groups it will randomly choose the url and open said url in default browser of the user. As for the Audiofiles i want to have background music, and also a sound clip for the button press event. In addition to to that i also have a static image which would be nice to slideshow-a-fy it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 8.13.03 AM.png
The GUI

Klaus

Re: Connecting Urls and Audiofiles

Post by Klaus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:12 pm

Hi crush423k,

1. welcome to the forum! :D
2. OK, that are a lot of questions, which one should go first?
3. What did you try so far? 8)

BTW, here a wonderful learning resource to get the basics of Livecode:
http://www.hyperactivesw.com/revscriptc ... ences.html

Best

Klaus

crush423k

Post by crush423k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:07 am

Thank you :), first of I would like to link the button to the sound file, I've tried to call in the player function and the filename. This is where I'm stuck actually, it might be stupid for me to ask but I can't connect the mouse event to the audio file. Oh and the concept is "good times" the audio will be from a song clip that was way to overplayed, the category for the URL pools are just a bunch of sub reddits. Also the mute button , how do you make a mute button lol? I'm sorry I know I should be reading docs and beggining my epic Google journey. But I believe I will get the most vauble info here. Stuff that will later become the foundation of my work process.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Well, you did not answer any of my three questions!?
This is not a "we will write the complete app for you" but a "help" forum, so you need to do some work, too!
I've tried to call in the player function and the filename...
I'm sorry I know I should be reading docs and begining my epic Google journey. But I believe I will get the most valuable info here.
???
Please check at least one or two of the stacks from the URL I posted earlier to get the VERY basics of Livecode,
try something at home and then come back with specific questions.

crush423k

Post by crush423k » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Hey buddy don't patronize me I'm not a kid or an idiot, and quite frankly you sucked the enthusiasm i had right out of me. Im not asking for anyone to right my code, actually far from it. Just simple human help, just because you know doesn't give you the right to make someone feel awkward for asking for help. Don't be an asshole you don't know who i am or who i will become.

heatherlaine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by heatherlaine » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:53 am

Dear crush423k, Klaus,

Easy there! Steady on folks :). Lets first remember that email is a tricky way to convey intent. If you were sitting together in a pub chatting over your next app, I'm sure you'd both get on fabulously. Klaus is a great guy, always has a smile and a kind word crush423k, so I'm quite sure he did not mean to set your back up. He does give up a lot of his time and attention free in these forums, helping out new guys like yourself. Klaus, you could possibly have been a tiny bit more assistive... Remember, LiveCode is huge. Trying to learn it all at once is daunting for anyone, I often think people do best if they just dive in and do one small thing, without necessarily trying to understand the basics about the whole environment.

I think crush423k is just looking for the right end of the thread to pull on, and he did give some indications of where he is stuck at the moment. Maybe these lessons will help, they are about "connecting the mouseclick with the audio":

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4 ... ng-players

or on mobile

http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4 ... -on-mobile

It always helps to be as specific as you can be when asking questions here, you don't say for example whether you are on the desktop or working on a mobile app.

It also helps to remain polite, even if you don't feel that way. People are far more likely to continue to help you if you say "Hey, man, I felt that was a bit harsh" than "Don't be an asshole".

I do hope you give it another shot crush423k, and continue to post questions here.

Regards,

Heather

crush423k

Post by crush423k » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:49 pm

Thank you, I actually did quit that day. I do apologize for my comment or at least the asshole part, I went to Scale 12x saw a man speak about live code in the Ubicon section. He gave me inspiration and the other man took it away as quickly as it was gained, He said to come here they will help you, even himself would be of help on the forum. I wish he would have answered my question, even tho it might of yielded a similar result i would have took it in stride. But the way the words were read and placed with emphasis on certain words seemed so unkind. which is why reacted as i did and i am sorry for that.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”