initial method call when app launch

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

monikadhingra

initial method call when app launch

Post by monikadhingra » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:43 am

Hi I am going to make a multiplatform app ,i want to make a rss call when app launch and want to show result in scrolling list once get data from server ,I am new in livecode ,please guide me what method or procedure need to follow in order to do same.

Simon
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: initial method call when app launch

Post by Simon » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:48 am

Hi monikadhingra,
Here is the RSS lesson:
http://lessons.runrev.com/s/lessons/m/4 ... -rss-feeds

Now it is intermediate so you may have to study a lot.
It boils down to
put url "http://myrssfeed.com" into myRssXML

After that it is working with the XML file.

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:10 am

Page not found.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:20 am

Hi bbhank,
Seems they have removed the stack.
I have it here but I thought I read somewhere here that you already had the slashdot sample?

Simon
I used to be a newbie but then I learned how to spell teh correctly and now I'm a noob!

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:30 am

I see why the sample is missing.
Doesn't work in LC v7

Simon

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:52 am

Yes. I have it but could find no info on how to make it work with anything but Slashdot.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:05 am

One thing you could do is validate the feeds
https://validator.w3.org/feed/

Otherwise I'd just step through the code with your feed to see where they break.

Simon

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:33 am

No need to validate. Feeds I'm using are good and being used on multiple websites.
Still need working sample(s), especially since all the tutorials and lessons are gone.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:38 am

No promises...
give me a link and I'll see if I can find the error.

I recall that whole RSD (?) thing was a pain.
And are you happy to work in LC v6?

Simon

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:42 am

I'm in LiveCode 7.
Here is one of the feeds I use. They've been up forever and work fine on websites.
http://rss.bowlingdigital.com/bowl/taxo ... /25/0/feed.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:01 am

Hi bbhank,
You are able to get the slashdot RSS example to work in LC v7?
Are there changes you have made?

Simon

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:05 am

It ran but only with Slashdot. I tried a bunch of different feeds that work on my sites.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:11 am

OK, not sure if I can be of much help as I get the error at line 50 when using LC 7.1.2.
Is the stack you are using called RSS.rev?

Simon

theotherbassist

Post by theotherbassist » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:44 pm

There's been so much interest in RSS in the last few days on here...

I can say with some confidence that anyone wanting to grab and use XML in livecode will find it much more rewarding and informative to start building from scratch. I know because I started figuring it out myself a few weeks ago. No, there aren't any great tutorials around for LC7. But the language dictionary will give you all the information you need. If you can't quite comprehend the revXML entries then there are plenty of helpful tutorials and lessons on related topics that you'll probably need to brush up on.

You will need to know how to create and manipulate arrays.
You will need to know how to display 8-bit unicode.
You will need to understand the basic syntax of XML.
You will need to understand the standards for RSS 2.0
You will need to be very handy with recursive functions
You will need to know how to manipulate URL filepaths in an organized way by changing the itemdelimiter etc.

If any of these things sound foreign to you, blocks of example code for RSS in Livecode aren't going to be very valuable because you have to understand the functions before you can bend them to fit your own app framework. And you can't expect that forum users will be able to make all those little tweaks for you--it's a helpful group for sure, but we're much more willing to assist when we can see you've done a little legwork first.

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:01 pm

I'll have to disagree about that language dictionary. Just like learning any language, the dictionary alone will not get you there.

You are right there is little to no good documentation on LC7, especially for beginners.

The "legwork" you mention was and is, being done, without workable results. That gets old really fast! I, as well as many others, have done way too much legwork that found pages removed and bad links. I looked for tutorials and lessons and many, if not all, have been moved, removed, not available. I used the searches both in and out of LiveCode, Google as well as others. The fact that little to no information about RSS and LiveCode is available and getting no usable results, is mentioned by those looking, as I did. The info seems to have been re-moved, not moved. I wouldn't use a forum at all if actual usable information were readily available.

Working samples, good workable examples, are badly needed all through. Tutorials and lessons need examples and samples that work, and are applicable to the subject matter at hand.

W3 Schools has a good walk-thru on XML. I'm in that now. What is missing again, is working examples, samples. The Slashdot is one of the few and it doesn't work with anything but Slashdot. There are many posts pertaining to that, all without solutions.

I think that all the sudden interest in RSS and LiveCode is from the fact that little to no usable information is actually available after all the legwork, and a lot of people have been looking and finding the same as I did - nothing. There are many references to tutorials that have been removed.

And yes, Simon I am using LC 7.1.3 and that is one of the stacks I have. I don't get any errors with it though.
Last edited by bbhank on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”