Programming for iPad on Windows

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

surfbored

Programming for iPad on Windows

Post by surfbored » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:17 am

Hi:

I'm looking for a good way to program for the iPad using the Windows platform (I don't own a MAC). Reading all the marketing, it looked like LiveCode was going to be the perfect solution, but after downloading the demo and reading some of the tutorials, now I'm not so sure...

The tutorials say I need to download the iPhone SDK from Apple before I can develop for iPad, but the SDK won't run on Windows. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help!

surfbored.

deebee
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Programming for iPad on Windows

Post by deebee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:51 am

surfbored wrote:I'm looking for a good way to program for the iPad using the Windows platform (I don't own a MAC).
Technically, it's not "legal" to develop iOS apps on anything but a Mac.

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:11 am

Hi surfbored,

although LiveCode is in fact a crossplatform development tool and you can create the
stacks for an iPad/iPhone on Windows , you need a Mac (a use Mac Mini will suffice)
to install the neccessary Apple Deveolper Tools and to "compile" for iOS devices.

Best

Klaus

surfbored

Post by surfbored » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:41 am

Really, no Windows platform programming for iPad? The marketing makes it sound like this might be possible -- or am I just reading what I want into it? :(

I know Apple is a fairly closed system, but I've seen other coding options that report to allow the type of development I'm hoping to do; but LiveCode looked the most promising (until I noticed the SDK requirement). I guess it's a good thing I investigated just a little further before plunking down the $500.

Ah well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the confirmation -- you saved me some heartbreak!!!

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:32 am

Yeah, thanks Steve...
Just to be clear, you can develop all your applications on Windows, for distribution to Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile (with appropriate Livecode add-on licences). When it comes to actually testing for the iOS target in the simulator, or compiling for the iOS target platform, then that's where you get bitten by Apple's closed policy. You have to have a Mac on which to run the SDK in order to use the simulator. You have to pay to join the Apple Developer Program in order to deploy to iOS (or even run the latest SDK). I made the investment in Livecode Complete in order to use it for iOS development. I have had to also buy a (second hand) Macbook (which still cost more than a much better spec PC laptop...) and invest in the Apple Developer Program in order to actually take advantage of the Livecode opportunity.

None of this is the fault of RunRev - I am very happy to be supportive. I suppose at least we can be thankful that Apple's "no third-party compilation tools on iOS" policy was repealed and it is actually possible to code for that target with Livecode. And so far, what a great job I've found it to be making.

surfbored

Post by surfbored » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:15 pm

Sparkout:

Reading your personal experience is enlightening and very welcomed. It's good to know I'm not alone in the boat of -- "I need what to program for Apple?!?" I guess now I have to decide if I really want to jump in with both feet or stick with Windows-only programming. *Grumble*

deebee

Post by deebee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:22 pm

surfbored,
Don't let Apple get you down too much! When making your decision, you should check things like this recent blog post from the Rev guys.
http://www.runrev.com/company/runrev-bl ... ts-in-2015
It looks as if Android and WinMobile are predicted to dominate iOS devices by a wide margin soon. Android may take the significant lead as early as next year.
Don't let this be your only research, however!

I realize this is information pertains to smartphones, but it would make sense that the android and win tablet devices follow a similar curve.

ddaddy

Post by ddaddy » Sun May 15, 2011 6:00 pm

Has anyone tried using LiveCode through VMWare on a Virtual Mac?

I've seen XCode running this way, so dont see why it wouldn't work.
Even if you where to use the Windows version of LiveCode then switch to the Virtual Mac through VMWare to test with the emulator?

dglass

Post by dglass » Sun May 15, 2011 6:44 pm

Apple's licensing prohibits installing the OS to anything but Apple hardware.

tturner43

Post by tturner43 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:57 pm

If you program using RunRev, and get a Mac, and the Ios SDK etc..... can your app be sold in the Mac AppStore... ipad app store (dont know exact name but in the app store for ipad apps)?????

Klaus

Post by Klaus » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi tturner43,

yes! Wouldn't make ANY sense otherwise :D
There are a lot of iOS apps made with LiveCode already in the App-store!

Best

Klaus

wsamples
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by wsamples » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:31 pm

ddaddy wrote:Has anyone tried using LiveCode through VMWare on a Virtual Mac?

I've seen XCode running this way, so dont see why it wouldn't work.
Even if you where to use the Windows version of LiveCode then switch to the Virtual Mac through VMWare to test with the emulator?

I have absolutely no experience of any kind with iOS or Livecode for iOS, but I have run OS X (Snow Leopard) in VirtualBox under Linux. It works normally. If you can get OS X and XCode running inside a virtual machine then everything will *probably* work as you hope. Running OS X this way is not allowed by Apple's EULA and you are likely to find that some OS integration details don't function because the VM isn't equipped to handle this "non-standard" use.

Really your best bet is to purchase a used Mini for a few hundred dollars. Since you're not looking to make it your main machine, you should be able to get by with an older and less powerful model. If one is serious about development, this should be considered an investment in your tools, and compared to what people in some other fields are required to invest in their tools, this sort of thing is pretty reasonable.

- - EDIT: While creating my post I see I left out that I have run (and from time to time, for convenience, do run) Livecode in OS X inside VirtualBox on a Linux machine. "it works normally" is a reference to Livecode in that scenario.
Last edited by wsamples on Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ddaddy

Post by ddaddy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:02 pm

I do actually have it running on a virtual machine on my windows laptop now :-)
Xcode runs and compiles fine. Livecode runs and the simulator works so I don't see why it wouldn't compile. (I don't have a provisioning profile to test it)

Seeker

Post by Seeker » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 am

SparkOut wrote:Yeah, thanks Steve...
Just to be clear, you can develop all your applications on Windows, for distribution to Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile (with appropriate Livecode add-on licences). When it comes to actually testing for the iOS target in the simulator, or compiling for the iOS target platform, then that's where you get bitten by Apple's closed policy. You have to have a Mac on which to run the SDK in order to use the simulator.
Hello Sparkout, I am new here and considering Runrev for iOS development and saw your useful reply after some searching around... Hope you're up for another question! I don't have a mac. If I want to develop in a Windows environment (for iOS), and have to test and compile seperately on a (borrowed) mac, would I need to buy a seperate licese for the mac? Or may I install the same software license on both platforms?

Also, and this probably more a question for the Runrev team, the much more affordable 'personal edition' of the software does not allow for commerical development - is this a limitation in the software (again, specifically interested in the iOS version at this stage? I.e. it does not complile or can it not be uploaded to the app store? Or is it a EULA (i.e. a trust) thing? I'll be purchasing as an idividual (not a company). So can I post apps on the app store but not make money out them? Advertising even?

Thanks,
Seeker

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:09 am

Livecode is licenced typically per user which means that if you install it on a Mac then you can use it. When you give the Mac back it would not be legitimate for the owner to continue to use your licence for Livecode, but as long as you are the one using it, then that should be ok. Be aware, however, that different platforms have different licence requirements - you will need to ensure you have a licence valid for iOS in order to create apps for that platform.

I am not certain what limitation a personal edition puts on iOS builds. Best direct that question in an email to support@runrev.com (rather than waiting for a better answer from someone else here).

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”