The day after (Help LiveCode to go back to school!)

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: The day after (Help LiveCode to go back to school!)

Post by richmond62 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:40 am

To be discussed:
"1. Do we need 2 versions?"

Yes, we do . . .

1.1. The REAL version (which we already have).

1.2. The BABY version (that is free of charge):

1.2.1. NO widgets (and NO LCB).

1.2.2. NO standalone capability.

"3. A transition path to paying customers for students or hobbyists that allows only personal use?"

3.1. Well, there could be a 'BABY starts walking' version at an extremely modest price ($50 - $100 ?)
that is EXACTLY the same as the BABY version + standalone building capabilities
(possibly for a restricted number of platforms).

-------------------------------------------------------

There is a quick-and-dirty path to a BABY version which should NOT take up that much of LiveCode Central's time:

Go back to the RevMedia code and set it up so that it will work on both 32-bit and 64-bit Macintosh,

(it already runs without a hitch on 64-bit Linux and under WINE - so, should be fine on Windows)

Give it a new name ( err . . . 'LiveCode Junior', or 'LiveCode Personal Learning Edition'),

POSSIBLY, strap the new, up-coming GUI, on the front.

Write a fancy document disclaiming any responsibility and support.

Of course RevMedia does NOT have the new Unicode capacity that LiveCode does: whether LC would
feel that is necessary to include is something they would have to think about.

-------------------------------------------------------

Having written all that, I can see NO reason at all why educators should not continue chuntering happily along
with Community versions:

I deploy 9.6.3 on both my 32-bit and 64-bit Xubuntu machines in my school.

I deploy 8.1.10 on my several polycarbonate iMacs running MacOS 10.7.4 in my school.

[And, quite frankly, the level I get to with my teaching means that there is no obvious advantage to
using 9.6.3 over 8.1.10]

The ONLY possible problem I can see relates to ARM Macintosh machines.

The ONLY other (highly questionable) downside I can see is that learners would not have access
to the new GUI. And as LC 10 has bogged down at DP4 for 5 months I, for one, am not holding
my breath: especially as children who have attended my 'Intro-to-programming' classes have never
complained or questioned the GUI 'we know and love.'

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”