LiveCode Server and Mac 10.7.5 Server

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

revRider
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

LiveCode Server and Mac 10.7.5 Server

Post by revRider » Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:40 pm

Finally happened.. Our Snow Leopard server has finally reached the point it is un-usable. Thanks to the Apple and the rest of the world making perfectly good machine useless. Think we have at least 10 xserves, with 4 being intel, that are waste of space now.

We did dig up 10.7.5 server (Mac mini) that appears to be working fine and we are trying to move the websites over. HOWEVER none of the instructions for setting up a LiveCode server on Apache appear to work with 10.7.5 (surprise). Editing the http.conf file and just can't get the right combination to make the server run the pages. Everything else works, I can do a test from terminal and it displays time, etc. But for some reason I am too stupid to get the CGI to trigger from webpage..

Hints and tips are welcome.

Thanks

FourthWorld

Re: LiveCode Server and Mac 10.7.5 Server

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:12 pm

revRider wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:40 pm
Finally happened.. Our Snow Leopard server has finally reached the point it is un-usable. Thanks to the Apple and the rest of the world making perfectly good machine useless. Think we have at least 10 xserves, with 4 being intel, that are waste of space now.
What caused those machines to stop working?
We did dig up 10.7.5 server (Mac mini) that appears to be working fine...
Depends on how one defines "fine". When was the last time Apple delivered an update for known security issues on 10.7.5?

When an OS vendor stops supporting a given hardware, the only patches still distributed for it come from organized crime rings and hostile nation-states. Vulnerabilities are published, hacks widely distributed to utilize them.

If the server is internal only with no connection to the open and hostile Internet, running abandoned OS versions may in some cases be okay.

But if accessible to the Internet, my go-to for keeping abandoned hardware in service is to replace the OS with something still receiving regular security updates.

Linux versions are likely available for that that hardware. Yes, it's a big leap, but one that has many knock-on benefits. Even Apple runs their own cloud services with Linux.

If you need a hand digging up an Ubuntu distro compatible with those machine specs let me know. There are many Linux distros, but one advantage with Ubuntu is that it's the most popular, and so it has the most documentation, tutorials, and tools available.

Upgrading to a free and open OS that keeps patches current seems a fitting way to celebrate Independence Day. :)
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

revRider

Post by revRider » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:29 am

Work K-5 Education. Think, finger painting for jr geeks... The machines give them hands on, on machines that no one really care about. But are 'real world'. And it gives us a place to sandbox websites and programs before going live to the world, sort of speak.

The Snow Leopard servers were great, ran non-stop for over 10 years. No problems. Yeah you couldn't surf the web using Safari anymore, but everything else worked, till couple months ago. The jabber server died, which we used to sent 'messages' between machines as a way of communicating commands. Worked great, lol, till it didn't.

I'm loosing more hair trying to get something working. If I can get one machine build, I can create an image and deploy to others. Which generally only last a couple of months, before they need to be reimaged. Quick and easy.

We did try linux a few years back, Raspberry Pi's. But they also advance too fast. But I agree it would be nice to have more standardized stuff. But we do have LOTS of old Apples, Xserves, iMacs, eMacs, etc..

All I need is a screen shot or text of what needs to be added to the http.conf file and we should be golden. for a SERVER not a workstation.

Sad note is we have this nice RAID, node controller with 3 Xserve Raids with fiber.. Was $$$ when it was donated.. Afraid to power on! LOL

~David

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:23 am

This is no doubt an insane scope enhancement, but considering the age group I can't help but imagine a custom environment crafted just for the tasks they do, all made in LC, running on well-supported Ubuntu...

Not that it's going to make the difference, but there is a Jabber for Ubuntu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jabber

What are the config differences between GUI macOS and macOS Server? Does this lesson not work?
https://lessons.livecode.com/m/4070/l/3 ... ith-apache
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”