How to wake up LC more quickly after sleep?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

golife

How to wake up LC more quickly after sleep?

Post by golife » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:49 pm

Using: Windows 11, LC 9.6.5 (but this affects also previous versions)

Hello to all

When I am not attending to my computer, after some time, it goes to sleep. Then I wake it up hitting the return key. Since my LC application was open when leaving, after some longer time it does not react any longer. It is more or less the same with other applications, but mainly with LC -- or much more noticeably. In most applications I do not notice any effect.

Even though using a fast computer and SSD it takes up to 5 minutes until LC slowly starts working again. And for example arrow keys in data grids have no affect even after more time ran by.

More annoying is that my customer usually leaves his computer running day and night, rarely closes any application, and the compiled version of my LC app then is not responding at all since his computer will also go sleeping often. And he thinks it is me that he cannot longer search and do things.

Is this something to report as a bug, or is there nothing we or the LC team can do about? Most likely, it has to do with the memory management of the underlying engine. Assigning more memory to the app does not seem to have any effect.

Regards, Roland

dunbarx
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: How to wake up LC more quickly after sleep?

Post by dunbarx » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:35 am

Hi.

Never heard anything like this. I have stacks both written on and running on a dozen Macs, and Mac authored standAlones on a dozen Windows machines.

LC opens instantly on all of them after waking up from sleep.

I know for a fact that certain LC anomalies live only on my personal work computer (a Mac) and nowhere else on the planet They have survived OS updates. I am not startled at this.

You need more replies to know what to do.

Craig

golife

Post by golife » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 pm

Mmh Craig, thanks for the reply ))). You can be happy that this is fine in your environment/s.

Of course, it all may have to do with the OS. But did you never notice a spinning wheel using LC?

Kind regards, Roland

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:12 pm

I don't see a problem on my Mac but I know there were some issues on Windows. Do you have the dictionary and/or the project browser open? Those can take a long time to update. Another common cause appears to be virus checkers, which delay file loading until it's scanned every file. You should be able to whitelist LC if that's the problem.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”