Protected Code license

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

prop

Protected Code license

Post by prop » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:43 am

I want to buy an indy livecode license,
but i don't understand what that means "Protected Code"
https:// livecode. com/products/ indy-edition/

it's like "ioncube. com" in php?
where is the documentation for doing "Protected Code" ?

Klaus

Re: Protected Code license

Post by Klaus » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:53 am

With the INDY (and Business) license you can add a password to your stack and then
you (and everyone who has the stack) will need to enter that password before you
can see and edit the scripts.

You will need to use the message box for this:
set the password of stack "your stack you want to protect here" to "your secret password"

SteveFI

Post by SteveFI » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:55 am

It allows you to encrypt any visible stack files in the executable to stop prying eyes opening them up as text documents and seeing your code.

Steve

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:59 am

Or to put it another way, if you use the Community edition of LiveCode, then the open source license basis mean that you must make the source code of any apps you create with it available to the end user.
If you want to keep your code private, you need to buy an Indy (or Business) licence.

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:04 am

Hi,
prop wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:43 am
it's like "ioncube. com" in php?
In short, yes. It's not available in the Community versions (= Open Source), only in the proprietary abo versions.
prop wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:43 am
where is the documentation for doing "Protected Code" ?
Search for "password" in the dictionary:
Dictionary wrote:If the password property of a stack is not empty, all the text in the stack is encrypted (so that it cannot be read in another program, such as a text editor). Scripts, custom properties, text in fields or buttons, and object names in a password-protected stack are all encrypted. However, you can still open the stack, see the contents, and get object properties.

The password property applies to a stack, not to the entire stack file, so it is possible to have a stack file that contains both password-protected and unprotected stacks. After setting the password the password protection does not take effect until the stack has been removed from memory and reloaded.
or for "Encrypt with password" in the "User Guide" (well hidden in the help menu):
User Guide wrote:Secures the scripts within the selected stack file with a password. This provides a
basic level of encryption that prevents someone from casually reading the scripts
in the stack by opening the file in a binary file viewer.
This has an effect only on basic stacks (*.rev, *.livecode) - StandAlones are in binary form anyways & thus "protected" already. And it may be bypassed quite easily (have not tried recently, maybe someone can comment for current versions?).

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

anmldr

Post by anmldr » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 am

SparkOut wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:59 am
if you use the Community edition of LiveCode, then the open source license basis mean that you must make the source code of any apps you create with it available to the end user.
What I have never understood about this is:
How do you know if an app is created with LC Community version vs any other programming language or the Indy or Business versions of LC?

I don’t want to steal anyone’s code. I would love to know what is “out there” so that I can learn from them.

Linda

AxWald

Post by AxWald » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:24 am

Hi,
anmldr wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 am
How do you know if an app is created with LC Community version vs any other programming language or the Indy or Business versions of LC?
AFAIK there's no way to tell if the executable is made with a community or a licensed version (I checked the binary of a community standalone & didn't find a certain clue). You'll find a LiveCode copyright claim though.

Generally it's required that a program licensed by GPL MUST come with a license note & at least a link to the license itself. A quite good tl;dr of the GPL v3 is found here.

Have fun!
All code published by me here was created with Community Editions of LC (thus is GPLv3).
If you use it in closed source projects, or for the Apple AppStore, or with XCode
you'll violate some license terms - read your relevant EULAs & Licenses!

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”