IDE windowed mode

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: IDE windowed mode

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:27 am

Aha . . .

But James Hale's Docset-Reader http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/913/Docset-Reader

works marvellously:
-
SShot 2021-06-20 at 12.24.44.png
-
Although, admittedly, on Macintosh I can see no obvious advantage to the in-built documentation.

I will deploy this on Linux as it will make my Summer classes significantly easier.

stam

Post by stam » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:27 am

richmond62 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:10 am
I downloaded James Hales' stack and used it to generate a .docset file here on macOS 11 beta 3, which it did
superbly. However what I do not know is how to convert the LiveCode.docset folder into a package.

It is, of course, perfectly possible to read any of the HTML documents generated in the

LiveCode.docset/Contents/Resources/Documents folder which is a lot better than my feeble attempts at fossicking around
inside the LC Mac packages.
Hi Richmond - didn't know about the docset reader, looks good. If you're on a mac there are advantages to getting a licence for Dash:
a) it's very polished
b) it's super quick
c) includes built-in and extensible support for multitude of languages
d) you can sub-search and it's extremely quick (for example if you search for 'data grid' which has a massive API, it's super quick finding a particular method that for example deletes)
e) it provides a tabbed interface so you can have multiple searches available at the same time
f) you can make and store annotations - built in snippet manager
g) is easy to integrate with other software (for example there is a plugin to integrate with BBEdit, Atom, Eclipse etc - and easy to extend to any app).

Down-side is that it's a paid-for app (i get my licence via SetApp). But if you need this for education, there's nothing to lose reaching out to Kapeli software.

Judging from screenshots, Zeal has similar functionality so if you're on a non-mac system, you may wish to try this free software...

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:59 am

Mind you, at the risk of offending James Hale, I do NOT like his icons:
-
SShot 2021-06-20 at 12.29.29.png
-
as I find a lot of them hard to make out.

So I hacked his stack:
-
SShot 2021-06-20 at 13.56.43.png
-
I do hope he will forgive me. :)
Attachments
Docset-Reader.rev.zip
Hacked Docset-Reader
(23.8 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

jameshale
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jameshale » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:51 am

Morning all,
Just to clarify:
The advantage of DASH to me (and the reason I created the Make Docset stack ) was the fact that, at the time, there was a free DASH for iOS.
I tend to use my iPad for reading mail and browsing the web but the online dictionary wouldn't work with s touch interface. DASH was a solution.
The fact that it also had heaps of other documentation, as well as plugins for other apps (BBedit, etc), made it a no-brainer for me.
The other advantage is that it includes all the guides as well as the docs for the widgets.

The Docset Reader was simply a test to see if I could make it and a hope that maybe someone would use it to make an Android version so that those with Android devices could also access the docs.
Unfortunately, the DASH developer has stopped work on the iOS version, but again if anyone wants to make one...
As for the icons, they correspond to those used in DASH, but you are free to do with them as you like.

jacque

Post by jacque » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:04 pm

jameshale wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:51 am
The Docset Reader was simply a test to see if I could make it and a hope that maybe someone would use it to make an Android version so that those with Android devices could also access the docs.
I did work with it for a while in between other things to see if I could use it on Android. It required some path adjustments and then wouldn't load the database because it couldn't read it from the engine or resources folder. I was about to copy it to the local documents folder when I got side-tracked with work.

When I came back to it later I decided that I didn't need all the extras; what I wanted was just a quick lookup of dictionary terms and syntax for reference when I wasn't at the computer. So I put together a very limited app that is simply a list of terms, a search field to find what I was looking for, and a display page for the dictionary HTML file. It's bare bones and about as simple as you can get but it works for what I needed.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”