intro BMI app sequence?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

CamLewis

intro BMI app sequence?

Post by CamLewis » Thu May 05, 2016 4:35 pm

I just fired this up for the first time, and it opened up a BMI calculator tutorial. However, before completing it, I ran into a problem where part of the toolbar was inaccessible, as it was halfway off the left edge of the screen, and I could not move it by hand.

I've got that sorted, but now I can't get the BMI app tutorial to fire up again. And for the life of me, I can't find it in the app. Can anyone tell me how to get LiveCode to pretend it's running for the first time again?

CamLewis

Re: intro BMI app sequence?

Post by CamLewis » Thu May 05, 2016 4:44 pm

Heh. Okay, so I'm looking over the docs, and I don't think I'll personally need that tutorial. But somebody else might find this thread useful if they run into the same difficulty I did, so feel free to respond anyway. :)

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty with this thing. Looks possible to do some pretty powerful stuff with minimal code.

EDIT: I'm a dope. It's right there in the upper left of the intro screen. ARGH. Been that kind of morning. :)

martyWell

Re: intro BMI app sequence?

Post by martyWell » Fri May 27, 2016 5:43 pm

I've just started going through this and ran into a couple of really minor glitches that I could sort out. But, now, I'm getting an error message when I try to run the calculation by clicking the "Calculate BMI" button. The script editor opens, highlights the line of code "put JsonImport(tJSON) into tArray"

The error message indicates: stack "Untitled 1": execution error at line 7 (extension: error occurred with domain) near "runtime", char 8.

I really like the ability to create this kind of tutorial, but haven't looked at how you do that yet. It does make me wonder about how much control we would have over feedback to the user when something goes wrong. Also, the only control option I could see would be to move forward or stop the app lesson. It seems to me that it would be good to be able to move backwards, to let the user try something different. But, as I say, I haven't looked at how you do this yet.

I'm working on a Mac, OS 10.11.5 and I'm running the 8.1 dp 1 build 14000 version of livecode indy.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Marty Weller

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”