Community to Commercial license

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

xfratboy

Community to Commercial license

Post by xfratboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Quick question. If I develop a product in the community edition then decide to sell it (wish to make it closed-source), is that possible? In short, why would I buy a commercial license except to use oracle features or code protection when I could just develop it for a year in the free community edition, then buy one month of commercial when I'm ready to release it? Is that the way this works? I assume I'd need to buy additional months if I need to update the software in the future. Am I right? Thanks!

sefrojones
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Community to Commercial license

Post by sefrojones » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:19 pm

As I understand it, yes you can develop an app in LiveCode Community edition, and then purchase a month of indy license when you wish to publish it as a closed source project. You are also correct that you would need to purchase additional months down the line, should you need to update your closed source app. However, the monthly subscription also includes access to an on-rev hosting, gives you a livecode.org e-mail address, and also access to all academies and the create-it-with-livecode course.

--Sefro
Last edited by sefrojones on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atout66

Post by atout66 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:28 pm

by extending this conversation, is it possible to buy an older version (6.5 for me) than the most recent?
Discovering LiveCode Community 6.5.2.

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 pm

As far as I know, once you have a commercial license, you can download previous commercial version from :

http://downloads.livecode.com

I've had a personal license since LC 5.5, But i'd imagine you would be allowed to access the commercial verisons going all the way back to at least LC 6.0

--Sefro

xfratboy

Post by xfratboy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:42 pm

What I wonder now is, if I use a closed-source extension (like Franklin Audio or EnhancedQT) inside of an open source application would I need a commercial license?

sefrojones

Post by sefrojones » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:49 pm

I believe that it depends on the particular extensions, and whether or not the developer has Dual-Licensed them. I know that Animation Engine and MobGUI are both dual licensed to work in both the community and commercial editions, but I'm not sure about the specific extensions that you mentioned in your post.

--Sefro

atout66

Post by atout66 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:20 pm

thanks Sefro ;-)
Discovering LiveCode Community 6.5.2.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”