What good is Revolution Media?

Got a LiveCode personal license? Are you a beginner, hobbyist or educator that's new to LiveCode? This forum is the place to go for help getting started. Welcome!

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

Stryder

What good is Revolution Media?

Post by Stryder » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:32 pm

In our company we have an old complete HyperCard system developed in 1997. As you can tell, that's a system that the programming environment, and now operating system, has been abandoned by Apple.

We are shifting our public software away from HyperCard using Revolution CGI (previously we used HyperCard and LiveCard). Debugging is a pain, and finding documentation on Revolution functions is a pain (ie: we don't own any version of Revolution).

Would Revolution Studio work for debugging code and code reference? Are all the functions and capabilities (except database and standalone) in Revolution Studio? If so, I'd be more than happy to purchase copies for my two workstations at work, and at home!

Or is Revolution Studio more of a MacroMedia Director, used for creating multimedia and not programming?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam Giesbrecht

Obleo

Re: What good is Revolution Media?

Post by Obleo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:46 pm

Stryder wrote:In our company we have an old complete HyperCard system developed in 1997. As you can tell, that's a system that the programming environment, and now operating system, has been abandoned by Apple.

We are shifting our public software away from HyperCard using Revolution CGI (previously we used HyperCard and LiveCard). Debugging is a pain, and finding documentation on Revolution functions is a pain (ie: we don't own any version of Revolution).

Would Revolution Studio work for debugging code and code reference? Are all the functions and capabilities (except database and standalone) in Revolution Studio? If so, I'd be more than happy to purchase copies for my two workstations at work, and at home!

Or is Revolution Studio more of a MacroMedia Director, used for creating multimedia and not programming?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam Giesbrecht
Revolution Studio we use for Software and games, and does everything hypercard did and much more. Why not download the demo version and take it for a spin. All the Documentation of functions, commands etc. are in the documentation browser. Also you can use any OSA scripting like shell, python, Java, applescript etc.

Think of Revolution like using Real Basic but much easier to understand, Faster to code and deployment to more operating systems and supports Universal Applications for OS X. If you want a standalone application Media will not do you need Studio or Enterprise version.

If you do not need a standalone then Media is all you need, basically I think that is the only thing different from media and studio is in Media you can not deploy a standalone app.

Oh and that Media has some stater template things like some portfolio builder and adventure game thing, studio does not have these and really are not any big missing things as It is easy to roll your own, If you wanted to do those things.

Yes you can debug and yes code references are included.

If you use HyperCard it will be a fast transition to Transcript.

Hope this helps your Questions, good luck.

Stryder

-

Post by Stryder » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks for your input.

I would use Media soley for debugging/testing and for the code documentation. Then the code could move to CGI more easily.

I have been using HyperCard for programming (not multimedia) since 1990, and Revolution as a CGI engine since January 2005. All my apps are now being deployed as web apps for portability on the client side.

malte

Post by malte » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Hi Cam,

Rev defenetly is not a multimedia only product. Even though my main focus is writing games with it I've done quite a few business apps using Rev, e.g. a jobmanagement Software for an advertising agency that works as a client / server system and stores all data for all jobs. It is run on a mixed network with 10 machines and works like a charm. :-)

If you don't have a copy of Rev, I suspect you write your CGI scripts as text files, righ? If so I bet it is a pain to debug. If you had a licensed copy you could use stacks to serve as CGIs and those are a lot more fun to work with, as you could have the stack open in the IDE and make changes there and instantly test it in the IDE and the browser. I think you will have to go with Rev Studio at least to be able to create CGIs, if I read the runtime Homepage correctly CGI is not supported for Media.

See: http://runrev.com/section/features.php

and scroll down to "CGIs and Console Applications"

Also if you are running on a linux server you will need to save the stacks in so called "legacy stack" format (the file format prior 2.7.x), as the engine for that OS does not read the new stack format yet.

Hope that helps,

Malte

Stryder

-

Post by Stryder » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:18 pm

I think I'll purchase a few copies (home and work), as £33 per seat is a lot cheaper than hundreds per seat, used solely for debugging and documentation.

Yes, all of the CGIs are written using pico in the terminal, and debugged by scanning the log files and going back and forth. It's really time consuming.

For portability, I'd like to keep the stacks as simple text files read only by the CGI, and do my code building and debugging in the IDE. Imagine my problem when I started at our firm, and we decided to go with a HyperCard solution because Apple was going to come out with 3.0 and it was going to be the "cat's meow". Then they cancelled it. No problem, we'll just keep using OS 8 and HyperCard 2.4.1. Then came OS X and OS 9, and it still worked (somewhat). Now with the Intel machines, it won't work at all. So I have to convert an entire business software infrastructure to another platform that will make it continue to function.

Now I see the power of web apps. It doesn't make a difference what client you have, it's the server that matters. And, Revolution runs on OS X (darwin), Windows, Linux, Sun Solaris, etc., so if Apple were to suddenly die off, we would be able to just install the engine for Windows, for example, and continue on our way. That's platform security!

The same security can be obtained from Perl, or PHP, but I am already well versed in HyperTalk for these sorts of apps, so why learn something new?

So, from what I gather from the feature list of Revolution Media, it's effectively the same as Studio, without standalone support, or Database connectivity.

That suits me just fine.

Return to “Getting Started with LiveCode - Complete Beginners”