Is LiveCode University Course same as livecode.byu.edu

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, asayd

ecann

Is LiveCode University Course same as livecode.byu.edu

Post by ecann » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:42 am

Hello please is the content on http://livecode.byu.edu/ related to LiveCode University and how different is

LiveCode University from it.

I found this statement on the livecode.byu.edu page
If you have found this website valuable over the years, please consider LiveCode University. It is a

complete, interactive course created in LiveCode featuring the same high-quality content you find here, plus:

Interactive examples in every lesson
Quizzes for checking comprehension
Downloadable examples
Assignments with answer keys
User progress tracking
Course completion certificate
WHat is the difference between the two are they almost the same?

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Is LiveCode University Course same as livecode.byu.edu

Post by richmond62 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 am

If you have found this website valuable over the years, please consider LiveCode University.
Will tell you that LiveCode University is considerably different to the livecode.byu.edu course.

It is in the semantics of the sentence.

ecann

Post by ecann » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:31 pm

Oh okay...

Please will I be able to download the videos or I would have to stream them online.

ecann

Post by ecann » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:39 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:52 am
If you have found this website valuable over the years, please consider LiveCode University.
Will tell you that LiveCode University is considerably different to the livecode.byu.edu course.

It is in the semantics of the sentence.
In the statement it says featuring the same high quality content here. That's why

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 pm

I think the content of the lessons are the same but LC University gives you extra things:

Interactive examples in every lesson
Quizzes for checking comprehension
Downloadable examples
Assignments with answer keys
User progress tracking
Course completion certificate

The answer keys might be useful because when you do the assignments you can see if you answered correctly. Also, downloading the example stacks can help you learn faster and the interactive examples would provide good practice.

But the lessons will have the same basic information as the web site, so if you don't need the extras you can just use the web.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

kdjanz

Post by kdjanz » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:38 pm

Please will I be able to download the videos or I would have to stream them online.
I just finished LiveCode University as part of my lockdown sanity maintenance program and there were no videos. The courses are contained within a separate app that you run, and the course checks back with BYU to see if there is updated information on every startup. Community, (or better) LiveCode and the LCU app are all you need to do the lessons, with an internet connection for receiving updates or add on resources. Each lesson has an end of unit test that you do, and then you look at the answer key to score yourself and assign marks.

I found it helpful and useful and it forced me to explore parts of LiveCode that I would never have gone into on my own - so now I'm a more rounded coder (or was that Covid?). I enjoyed the Course and would recommend it to those who want to at least reach journeyman level coding with LiveCode. Of course it can't cover everything and there is no work with servers or internet access etc as those are deemed 'next level' I suppose. But still worthwhile to establish a good foundation.

Kelly

Return to “LiveCode University”