The 9.5 IDE Chugs

This forum is a working group for community contributors to the LiveCode IDE included in the main LiveCode distribution.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

SirWobbyTheFirst
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

The 9.5 IDE Chugs

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Hello,

So I've just got back into LiveCode after nearly 4 years away, and I picked up 9.5 and I'm pleased with the changes except one. The IDE chugs and I mean chugs, typing in the Script Editor can result in a delay of around 2 seconds before the characters appear and Task Manager shows the engine being very busy. The messages section of the Message Box shows a quickly increasing number of pending messages that appear to be the same message to the same stack. This is on top of a hex core Xeon with enough RAM that not even Chrome can use it all on top of an SSD.

Is this a known issue, is it fixable, if not, does the 7.0 IDE still work on the newer engine?

Mike

FourthWorld

Re: The 9.5 IDE Chugs

Post by FourthWorld » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Two factors affect this, and are related, outlined in this post to the use-livecode list:
https://www.mail-archive.com/use-liveco ... 99951.html

In short:

1. Windows Defender has a "Real Time Protection" option, which is apparently affecting a good many apps, including LiveCode. Anything that makes frequent writes to disk will be affected, and much of recent versions of LC, particularly in the Script Editor, make use of an SQLite DB, which even for read operations updates internal cursors and flags, which the OS recognizes as writes (and which is also related to frequent corruption of SQLite files when stored in syncing services like Dropbox and OneDrive, but that's another story), , triggering boatloads of OS-level scanning.

2. LC's new Autocomplete and other features in the Script Editor not only make extensive use of SQLite, but are inherently complex, adding to performance issues.

Turning off Autocomplete options and not using the dynamic Dictionary lookup pane in the Script Editor can help. But what seems to make the biggest difference is unfortunately not something I'd recommend: turning off Windows' Real Time Protection makes this problem with LC and other affected programs go away.

First, move to v9.5.1. Many fixes, well worth using.

Then run a brief test in which you can turn off Real Time Protection in Windows' Settings Panel, and see if that is indeed the culprit on your system as it is on so many others. (Then of course turn it back on again, because it's useful). The team is aware of the impact of that Windows feature and is exploring ways to work around it without sacrificing features.

Turning off the Autocomplete features will also bump performance, sometimes significantly.
Richard Gaskin
LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems
LiveCode Group on Facebook
LiveCode Group on LinkedIn

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:40 pm

Hi Richard,

I had a look at disabling Real-Time Protection and restarted the 9.5 IDE and found it still lagged behind. But having downloaded the 9.5.1 IDE, it has made a difference, I also looked through the preferences options for the script editor and disabled some features such as live error detection which also seems to have made an improvement.

I'm running the Community edition so I don't have access to the autocomplete feature. If it is silently enabled, tracking changes but not actively doing any work, then there needs to be a way to disable it or force disable it when the Home stack is loading for the non-commercial editions.

Mike

SirWobbyTheFirst

Post by SirWobbyTheFirst » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:45 pm

By the way, is there a keyboard shortcut for switching through the Message Box panes? It used to be Ctrl+M to activate it which is still the case and then Ctrl+Comma to move through each pane, but that doesn't seem to work now.

mwieder

Post by mwieder » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:02 am

It appears that the messagebox header is now a com.livecode.widget.paletteActions widget, so no... it doesn't respond to keypresses.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Mark.

i am still in 9.0.4. Are you saying that the arrowKeys do not cycle through recent 9.5 msg entries? I would hate to lose that.

Craig

bogs

Post by bogs » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Arrow keys still cycle through entries, mickpitkin92 was talking about switching through panes, as in single line, multi line, etc.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by richmond62 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:02 am

in a delay of around 2 seconds before the characters appear
I haven't seen that on my 2018 Mac Mini running MacOS 10.14.6. :)

Return to “IDE Contributors”