linux updater process never dies

This forum is a working group for community contributors to the LiveCode IDE included in the main LiveCode distribution.

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

linux updater process never dies

Post by mwieder » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 am

I just filed bug #11065 on this. I thought it had been filed before, but I couldn't find it in the system, so now's as good a time as ever.

When the home stack launches it opens a new LiveCode process with the "install -update" arguments. This process is opened "for neither", and according to the "open process" docs if a process is started for read, write, or update it is killed when the app exits. But since the updater process is opened for "neither" it just stays around in memory after LiveCode exits. And a new process is launched when you launch LiveCode again. The end result is that I have to go through the process list with "ps ax | grep livecode" and kill -9 the leftover processes.

I changed the home stack script to launch the process "for update" and the problem goes away, but I don't know if that's because the updater completed successfully and didn't find an update or because the updater failed.

Seems like this is much too easy a solution not to have been tried and rejected before, so I'm guessing I'm missing something.

Return to “IDE Contributors”