flex and bison

Moderators: FourthWorld, heatherlaine, Klaus, kevinmiller, LCMark

mwieder
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

flex and bison

Post by mwieder » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 pm

Although the build instructions for linux have a list of libraries and tools that are "installed", they don't seem to be.
I just went through the process of building from a new cloned repository on a newly-installed linux mint system and had to install a few dev libraries in order to compile the source (the error messages mde it pretty obvious what was missing), and after getting the dev libraries in place I still had to install both flex and bison manually.

Not sure this is the proper place to report the problem, but I couldn't think of a better place.

peter-b

Re: flex and bison

Post by peter-b » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:35 am

mwieder wrote:Although the build instructions for linux have a list of libraries and tools that are "installed", they don't seem to be.
I just went through the process of building from a new cloned repository on a newly-installed linux mint system and had to install a few dev libraries in order to compile the source (the error messages mde it pretty obvious what was missing), and after getting the dev libraries in place I still had to install both flex and bison manually.

Not sure this is the proper place to report the problem, but I couldn't think of a better place.
Those lists are the packages that are installed in the build environments we use for building LiveCode on the LiveCode "Vulcan" build servers.

So, on Linux Mint, for example, you may need to "apt-get install ..." for all of the things on that list in order to get matching build environment set up. They're not automatically installed for you...!

I'm not sure how to make that clearer in the documentation, but please feel free to submit a PR with some improved wording.

(For future reference, the proper place to report a problem is Bugzilla.)
LiveCode Open Source Team — @PeterTBBrett — peter.brett@livecode.com

mwieder

Re: flex and bison

Post by mwieder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:42 pm

I think "are installed" is misleading on page https://github.com/livecode/livecode/bl ... L-linux.md.

Possibly it might better say "if these packages are not already installed on your system you will need to install them."
Otherwise it sounds rather like the packages are installed as part of the process that downloads the prebuilt libraries.

Return to “Engine Contributors”