Accordion Widget

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

sritcp

Accordion Widget

Post by sritcp » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:21 pm

Accordions, which fold out to show the content one (or more) level below, are very useful. They are commonly found on many websites and apps, and are very useful for making multi-level outlines. Making one in LC is not trivial, with so many possible optional properties. It may be a worthwhile widget.

Thanks,
Sri
Attachments
accordion.png

[-hh]
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Accordion Widget

Post by [-hh] » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:45 pm

• An accordeon is rather easy to get with an ordinary text field and the use of property hidden (and textstyle link for the trigger lines).
  • [An accordeon doesn't make sense to do as a LCB-widget as long as we have to write our own word wrap algorithm. Also, for a lot of few-line-uses, the tree view widget will be OK.]
  • [An accordeon is rather easy to get using a browser widget.]
shiftLock happens

sritcp

Post by sritcp » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi Hermann:

Yes, I was able to make a basic accordion quite easily with basic text fields.
Once I started factoring in the number of options, images, tables, and increasing the number of levels, it got complicated (especially the lay-outing). So, I thought it may have general utility as a widget. I am not conversant with LCB.
(I find the tree-view widget quite cumbersome and have not been able to find a real use for it. I am sure there are some practical applications).

Thanks,
Sri

[-hh]

Post by [-hh] » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:29 pm

sritcp wrote:...Once I started factoring in the number of options, images, tables, and increasing the number of levels, it got complicated (especially the lay-outing)...
Hi Sri,

yes, agreed. With such a list of features I would use HTML5/Javascript/CSS in a browser widget.
There are templates for that in the folks.

Hermann
shiftLock happens

sritcp

Post by sritcp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm

Hermann:

I agree.

More generally, the reason for my original post is my surprise (and disappointment) at how few widgets have been created since the advent of LCB. I'd expected to be flooded with dozens of widgets, both official (by RunRev) and unofficial (user contribution), little utilities covering all kinds of day-to-day development needs. I have enjoyed your HTML examples. But my expectations that RunRev would constantly add drag & drop widgets (say, one a month?!) haven't come true. Take tables, for instance. There is a huge product gap between the all-but-useless "table field" and the very useful but very complex data grid. A table widget with a lot of options that we could dial in to get just the table we need -- seems to be an obvious candidate (among many others).

Anyway, that was the backdrop behind my original post. Thanks for listening.

Regards,
Sri

bogs

Post by bogs » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:13 pm

sritcp wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm
Take tables, for instance. There is a huge product gap between the all-but-useless "table field" and the very useful but very complex data grid.
Ever see Bn's 'teach a old table new tricks' stack? Pure awesome :D

sritcp

Post by sritcp » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi bogs:

Yes, Bernd's table is very nice.
I was thinking about exploiting the potential of "widgets", and a feature-rich table is a good candidate.

Regards,
Sri

Return to “Feature Requests”