Acid-Free Paper

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer

Acid-Free Paper

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 am

A very long time ago I recall having a discussion with [b]Jacque[/b] anent page-turn animations which sort of petered out . . .

Mucking around on my G5 PPC iMac with a Dorling-Kindersley title that I bought my
children in Jeddah, KSA [World Explorer] I found some lovely pages turns made in an ancient
version of MacroMedia Director (I bought that CD in 1996) . . .

Presumably (as I am unable to reverse engineer the MacroMedia files on the CD [not for lack
of trying, either]), the page turn effect was achieved with a series of images . . . my guess.

Wouldn't it be lovely if . . .

https://youtu.be/q5fW7sERw7I

. . . it were possible to do this sort of thing programmatically in LiveCode? No, don't
answer that, it is a rhetorical question, and the answer is already 'Yes.'

richmond62

Re: Acid-Free Paper

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:55 am

https://carhideout.com/v/k-NHQEqEj1c/Gimp-Page-Curl
-
GimpTest.jpg
-
Well . . . as you can see, GIMP produces something fairly crappy insofar as:

1. There is no option to manipulate the pagecurl to produce
a series of images for an animation.

2. There is no option to have an image on the "back" of the pagecurl.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:17 pm

It is possible to make a much more attractive Page Curl with Apple Keynotes, and the end result can
be exported as an animated GIF which can be broken down into its constituent frames with Quicktime.

However you end up with a lot of heavy files.
-
SampleCurl.jpg
-
These can be imported into LiveCode and animated either by spreading them over
a large number of cards, running through a "set the vis" loop, or looping them as
backGroundPattern of an appropriately sized graphic object.

This still begs the question.

It, also, does not allow you to set the 'back' of the curled page to a different images source
to the front image.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:56 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:17 pm
It is possible to make a much more attractive Page Curl with Apple Keynotes, and the end result can
be exported as an animated GIF which can be broken down into its constituent frames with Quicktime.

However you end up with a lot of heavy files.
Very. With enough pages, prohibitively so.
It, also, does not allow you to set the 'back' of the curled page to a different images source
to the front image.
This may be among the reasons Microsoft, then Apple and now everyone, began the design evolution away from skeuomorphism a while back.

Visual affordances emulating real-world objects were useful in the early days of computing. Few people had spent time with computers, but most are familiar with a Rolodex, a printed book, a leather binder, a car dashboard, etc.

Metaphors always have trade-offs, for all the reasons Aristotle wrote about: ultimately there is a difference between any two things being compared, so that, powerful as they can be, all metaphors ultimately break down. But in those early days of computer interactions the upsides of familiarity outweighed the downsides of unmeetable expectations and constraints.

30 years later, we design for a very different audience. People our age have been using computers at least most of that time, and most younger people have never known a world without ubiquitous computing.

Now we face the subtler aspects of Aristotle's warning, and have an opportunity to up our game. Rather than continuing the old tradition of limiting computers to emulate physical objects, we live in a world where our contemporary audiences understand the fluidity of computers as a thing in itself, and expectations have been raised for flexibility beyond what we can do with objects in the physical world.

So-called "Flat Design", first introduced in Microsoft's Metro design language with other variants later adopted by Apple, Google, and the rest, is more than just visual fashion. It's the embodiment of a sober realization that we use computers not just to do old things faster, but often to do entirely new things. Flat design's visual simplicity isn't the goal, but merely a means of simplifying the interface so the user can focus on using the new functionality. While it looks different from the old world where buttons had drop shadows and other details emulating the physical world, it's not really about how it looks as much as how it works.

When we leave behind visual metaphors of the physical world, we also leave behind the constraints of those objects. Physical buttons on an appliance can't change their labels, but in software there can be good reason to do. A printed book can't reformat itself dynamically to create open space to match the size of an annotation a reader might want to write, but in software have total flexibility to do that fluidly.

So if we set aside the constraints of the physical world to celebrate this moment in UX evolution where we can finally embrace the inherent dynamism of computing, we can ask:

What is a page?

And from there we get the corollary question:

How does one navigate from one page to another?

While the curl effect is a nice flourish to show off rendering algorithms and GPU performance, it really only works conceptually if we decide to limit the layout to fixed dimensions, to fit the constraints of old-world printing.

But do we need to do that?

Users will understand page-to-page navigation with any number of transition effects, many of which can accommodate dynamic layouts like push, wipe, and slide. And if the web is any indication, modern audiences quite readily understand page changes with no transition effect at all (though I still prefer them where practical, as an additional reinforcement).

If we adopt transitions more broadly suitable for the dynamic layouts that distinguish computing from physical media, we provide all of the cognitive affordance of a page curl, but in a form that can be applied to a broader range of circumstances and interactions, allowing us to build expectable consistency across the range of interactions our designs support.

Extra bonus points that most modern "flat" conventions, in terms of graphic appearance and animated transitions, turn out to be far simpler for both the programmer to craft and for the computer to deliver than yesteryear's visually and algorithmically heavier flourishes.
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Err . . . Thanks (I think) for the sententious lecture.

Not all of us are 100% convinced of the need to drop metaphors
that have proven useful for millennia. 8)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:28 pm

richmond62 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 pm
Err . . . Thanks (I think) for the sententious lecture.

Not all of us are 100% convinced of the need to drop metaphors
that have proven useful for millennia. 8)
...just as Aristotle's warning about the limitations of metaphors has also proven useful for millennia. :)
Richard Gaskin

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Cuts both ways, buddy.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Let's not worry about either Aristotle or the galloping horse of the modernization apocalypse
and concentrate for the moment on a few real-life situations:

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian ... anletters3

"Later in the year people in the north-east will also be able to see the Lindisfarne gospels on computer screens using the library's own Turning the Pages technology, a fusion of digital, animation and touch-screen technology. People will be able to turn the pages in a virtual sense at the touch of a finger, enabling them to see far more than the one page that would be open in a display case."

The British Museum have displayed a virtual version of the Lindisfarne Gospels using Shockwave
(which doesn't want to play ball with my browser), a technology that has gone "phut" right now:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/11/1826 ... nvas-webgl

Quite a few museums have done this without realising that Adobe was going to sh*ft them
sooner rather than later. These virtual books feature page-turning "things" which really
excite my 88 year-old Mum in a big way.

Note: The internet should not only be for people under 45.

Now, if someone could do "that sort of thing" in LiveCode that might be a good thing.

What the British Museum's "Turning the Pages technology" actual is is another question:

http://armadillosystems.com/index.php/c ... the-pages/

http://ttp.onlineculture.co.uk/

"Bespoke kiosk solutions from £1,745."

Cripes . . . time to lever LiveCode to undercut that lot! 8)
-
ttp-3.0-grab-4-1024x644.jpg
-
Just looking at that static image makes me start salivating.

http://ttp.onlineculture.co.uk/technical/

"The web version of TTP 3.0 is a Single Page Application (SPA) built with HTML5,
Knockout and jQuery. This is an open standard and
the benefits are that it is not reliant on plugins, performs across most recent devices
and operating systems (Windows, Mac, iOS and Android) including tablets and phones.
The architecture of the web version also means that the code can be re-factored
and the entire application re-engineered for specific clients if need be."

(my highlighting)

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 pm

Digital emulation of historical documents impractical to reproduce as physical works is a rather specialized edge case.

If you've been hired to produce such a work, no doubt budget includes sufficient funds for using existing extensibility mechanisms to produce the work in LiveCode.

But if you've actually used page-turning systems, unlike those who've merely looked at pictures of them, you know how rare the good ones are.

Just as most page curling is rendered inadequately, breaking its own metaphor when it fails to also render the next page on the underside of the curl, interactions with page curling test with consistently lower scores than simple swipes due to the complexity of trying to emulate the experience of manipulating paper on a glass screen in 2D space.

But a well funded institution can afford the unusually high quality code needed to handle both great rendering and great interaction.

And applying that funding with LiveCode raises little if any additional cost, while reducing costs across a great many other features of such a system.

Keep us posted with how it goes.
Richard Gaskin

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:48 pm

breaking its own metaphor when it fails to also render the next page on the underside of the curl,
That is where things get badly unstuck.

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:25 pm

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:51 am

I wonder if one can export either a film or an image series from Unity?

https://youtu.be/e1znh05-iXY

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:46 am

richmond62

Post by richmond62 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:05 pm

I'd suggest Blender
Very nice too.

But I wonder if one can render that out as a series of images to use for
virtual page turning of a book in a kiosk display with LiveCode.

bogs

Post by bogs » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:00 pm

Well, that was why I suggested Blender. Blender can model the book, the pages, create animation video or generate images with equal facility. 2.8, even though still in beta, works really well and renders out extremely quickly on the same hardware 2.79 would stutter on.

Of course, if you never used 3d modeling software before, you'd have to spend time learning it, but the Blender foundation also went a long way to make the user interface more mainstream and easier than it was before. There are also no lack of tutorials to teach you what you want to know, whether modeling in general or specific one off things specific to your interests.

Return to “Feature Requests”