Quality Beginners Manuals, Tutorials & Samples

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

bbhank

Quality Beginners Manuals, Tutorials & Samples

Post by bbhank » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:10 pm

I came into LiveCode after being in technology all my work life, but in hardware, networking, and technical support, where documentation is deep, where the success of a product can depend on whether a field tech can use the manual. There was many a newbie who got up to speed fast due to availability of good beginning documentation, and many products failed for lack of it.

Something like Dummy's books in level of expertise would be super.
Last edited by bbhank on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

FourthWorld
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Quality Beginners Manuals, Tutorials & Samples

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:50 pm

To best recommend the most efficient resources for you it would be helpful to know two things:
1. How much of the User Guide have you read? (see Help->User Guide)
2. What sorts of software are you interested in making? (mobile or desktop, database-oriented, multimedia, games, etc)
Richard Gaskin
Community volunteer LiveCode Community Liaison

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com
LiveCode User Group on Facebook : http://FaceBook.com/groups/LiveCodeUsers/

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:02 pm

I've read way too much of the users guides. That's why the request. I'm tech savvy but not a programmer, and found them difficult, to unusable. Not basic enough.
Interested in mobile and desktop software.
And yes, mostly database oriented.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:48 pm

bbhank wrote:I've read way too much of the users guides. That's why the request. I'm tech savvy but not a programmer, and found them difficult, to unusable. Not basic enough.
This is why I ask. "Guides" (plural) suggests you're referring to the many topic-specific guides available. Some are quite good, but apparently not what you're looking for.

So I was asking about the "User Guide" specifically, the 378-page reference in PDF format included in the install. It covers a lot of ground, so aside from the authors I rarely meet anyone who's read all of it. But the early chapters on scripting are really a very good place to start, perhaps later branching out to read other chapters of specific interest as needed.
Richard Gaskin

LiveCode development, training, and consulting services: Fourth World Systems: http://FourthWorld.com

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:54 pm

I downloaded the User's Guide initially as the logical first place to start.

I'm not here to attack the present offering, just asking for something better, i.e., easier for the beginner.

FourthWorld

Post by FourthWorld » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:02 pm

bbhank wrote:I downloaded the User's Guide initially as the logical first place to start.
Definitely the best first step. And if you have LiveCode installed you don't even need to download it - it's available right from the Help menu.

The next step would be to help you find the sections of it best suited for your interests. Which is why is asked if you could please describe which portions of the User Guide you've already read.
Richard Gaskin

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:56 pm

I'm talking about over all. Not specific to me alone.

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:29 am

What Richard is getting at is this, and it is common among new users.

You need a foundation to even start. What does not require this? LC is so deceptively accessible that it frustrates new users because it seems like you can just start in, attaching code onto objects and cards, and build your app. Drag and drop and go. You can, actually to a certain limited extent, and many beginners learn by trying to make a stack right away. Some start with quite complex projects, and bog down right away as well.

All that said, the user guide, the lessons at both LC and Hyperactive Software, and other resources are required reading, whether concurrent with your foray into working on a project, or as a prerequisite to starting. This requires time and patience, patience NOT to be discouraged if your first stack just doesn't seem to pull together. What I am saying is the basics are indeed present and not bad at all. They require deliberate measured effort though, perhaps running small tests of certain concepts and even handlers, so that one does not overreach. I always say "make an address book". That task seems so unsexy. But when you are struggling to make it work, you will learn how to drive.

What makes the concurrent option even possible is this forum. You can be directed along a path while you are building that foundation. If you are tenacious, and inquisitive, advancement is likely the quickest that way.

Craig Newman

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:42 pm

Thank you much.
Craig, what you say is all true and gives more weight to the fact that something at least as simple as Dummy's books is needed and wanted, by and for, many of us.

SparkOut

Post by SparkOut » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:45 pm

I haven't read it, so I can't give a "recommendation" beyond having respect for Mark (long-standing pillar of the LiveCode community), but he has written a book for the "real beginner".

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.ph ... 53#p135942

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm surprised this ain't in the top of the Beginner's Resources. In Neon :D
Thank you.

Ahh. Old memories - HyperCard. Mac Plus. Disk swapping. 8)

dunbarx

Post by dunbarx » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Ahh. Old memories - HyperCard. Mac Plus. Disk swapping.
Ahh. The 32K limit in textEdit. My favorite.

It was only very recently, since I still maintain a dozen HC stacks running in a peer-to-peer network with a dozen OS9 Macs, and had to do a major upgrade, that I really, finally, had my old die-hard affection for HC, er, strained just a little bit.

Spoiled, you see...

Craig
Last edited by dunbarx on Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bbhank

Post by bbhank » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 pm

:D :) :lol:

Return to “Feature Requests”