mobile gui

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

rinzwind

mobile gui

Post by rinzwind » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:09 am

Is there any reason LiveCode does not apply nice themed buttons etc when building for iOS or Android? I can't figure out why they would choose the motif stuff. I'm just wondering why LiveCode decided to do it this way since everyone expects good looking controls that behave like you expect from a mobile device (including scrolling etc)... Any dev insights?

rinzwind

Re: mobile gui

Post by rinzwind » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:07 pm

Even in the tuturials/academies/create it.. sooo much time is spend on creating & fiddling with look alike controls that will never function as robust as the real thing.. and reuse is difficult. No.. I'm afraid LiveCode certainly does not create mobile apps fast and easy as it likes to communicate. Too much boiler plate code needed for any control. I just can't get my head around the fact that the LC team went all the way to make it possible to create mobile apps, but ignored the GUI part almost completely and somehow tries to get away with it. For mobile the IDE is certainly not WYSIWYG. I would expect there would be a theme iOS and a theme Android. Sadly not the case and customers (LC customers AND your app customers) will walk by cause it looks ancient. I want to be busy with program logic, not with how a button looks like or how a list scrolls... A little rant I know. But I certainly hope things will get better soon.

sphere

Post by sphere » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:17 am

I think you're partly correct.
Indeed the buttons do not display as expected on Android.
When i use Push Button, it is not displayed as it looks in the IDE. :(
While the ugly rectangle button is displayed on Android like it is in the IDE.

But further more you can create like you wish. :)
2018 Worldwide Mobile Market share: Android 84.4% !!!, iOs 15.1%, others 0.1%

jacque
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer
VIP Livecode Opensource Backer

Post by jacque » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:44 pm

This is being addressed in LC 8 where themimg will be available. So hang on a while.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw dot com
HyperActive Software | http://www.hyperactivesw.com

sphere

Post by sphere » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:49 am

Ok that must be something then, 4 months until updated. I thought they cancelled it.
Great! they must be working real hard i guess to probably solve some issues.

Let's check it out :D
2018 Worldwide Mobile Market share: Android 84.4% !!!, iOs 15.1%, others 0.1%

Return to “Feature Requests”