Fixing case when coding

Something you want to see in a LiveCode product? Want a new forum set up for a specific topic? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Klaus, FourthWorld, heatherlaine, robinmiller, kevinmiller

RedDeupree

Fixing case when coding

Post by RedDeupree » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Would it be possible for LiveCode to have an option that would fix the case of keywords and local or global variables as you type?
I have used Microsoft IDEs that do this for a long time and it is nice to be able to quickly see when a variable is misspelled after it stays all lower case after you type it.

richmond62
Livecode Opensource Backer
Livecode Opensource Backer

Re: Fixing case when coding

Post by richmond62 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:08 pm

I don't think this is necessary as LIveCode doesn't care
about whether you use capitals or lower case letters.

RedDeupree

Post by RedDeupree » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:26 pm

I know LiveCode doesnt care, but I do.
I love how LC colorizes stuff, that's great. I am just used to Microsoft's habit of using case conventions and such and making them easy to keep for the same purpose.
Things like CamelCase are very popular in Microsoft-land to look at because they are easier to read (some opinions, anyway) than all lower case, but hard to type, so Microsoft has autocomplete and case fixing built into its IDEs. Microsoft doesn't care either, but it will allow you to rename and re-case existing variables and is known to do it by itself. I find this very useful to quickly see misspelled variables, a nasty error to find as its side effects can be deep and random and frequently do not result in runtime errors.

This of course would be an option..

An alternative option might be to be able to colorize global and local variables like you do with keywords, but I still like case stuff as I don't have to read the word, I just sort of see the shape, and camel case is a bit more shapely to my Microsoft trained eyes.

rinzwind

Post by rinzwind » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:29 pm

You are right sir. LiveCode should correct any casing. And yes I do miss autocomplete. That is a mandatory feature in a modern ide imho. Make it so lc team! :)

RedDeupree

Post by RedDeupree » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:07 pm

I think Microsoft has done this correctly and the casing/autocomplete stuff is habit forming..
An option for this would be good..

Return to “Feature Requests”